Senior Mechanical Engineer - Assembly & Integration
Denver, CO, USA
Posted on Thursday, November 9, 2023
Satellite imagery is a historically-scarce resource, whose adoption has been slowed by an unbalanced relationship between price and resolution. In theory, frequent, ultra-high-resolution imagery of Earth has near-infinite applications; in reality, only a sliver of that potential has been realized.
Albedo aims to be the catalyst in unlocking satellite imagery’s latent potential, hoping to expand current applications and propel the discovery of new use cases. Whether our imagery is being used to reduce wildfire risk, assess the environmental impact of global forestry, contribute to timely 3D reconstructions of urban areas, or monitor carbon emissions from industrial power plants, our mission is to get better data into the hands of decision-makers fast. We’re modernizing how satellite imagery is used by providing near real-time access to our ultra-high resolution data.
What We’re Up To: Albedo is developing a novel approach to the earth observation industry, both in space and with our business model. We are intentionally doing things differently by taking (calculated) risks, trying new things, and moving with speed. Our team believes satellite imagery is a valuable resource that should be made accessible, in every sense of the word. We are committed to our customers, ensuring that what we’re building is what they want. We are playing at the edges of how traditional New Space technologies have been approached, and we want to shake up the industry as it stands today.
Who We’re Looking For: Albedo is launching next-generation, ultra-high-resolution imaging satellites to service a global audience through a modern, cloud-based product interface. In order to achieve this goal, we are looking for a team of people who are both passionate about our mission and are willing to put in the work to design, develop, and test an innovative earth observation concept in the commercial industry. The times ahead will be set in a fast-paced, often uncertain environment, but if you are hard-working, kind, and team-oriented, you can expect a rewarding and purposeful experience.
Albedo is looking for a Senior Mechanical Engineer - Assembly & Integration to join our space team. You are a cross-team, multi-purpose engineer who can work gracefully and efficiently across all areas of a spacecraft bus system, learn quickly from our domain experts to increase team velocity and output, and fill in gaps as needed. Most importantly, you are a supportive, emotionally strong leader with excellent communication skills to inspire and push the rest of the team toward collective success in the building of our unique and innovative spacecraft.
What You'll Do:
- In this ultra-high impact role, you’ll lead mechanical assembly & integration operations for the VLEO Albedo imaging vehicle - literally, bringing it to life
- The role isn't just for one, it includes optimization and design for manufacturability (DFM) beyond flight vehicle-1, to encompass our full constellation
- You’ll transition our space vehicle design through baseline> detailed DFA > drawing trees > fabrication at suppliers > kitting > assembly
- Own day-to-day space vehicle mechanical assembly & integration operations including leadership of our small vehicle assembly team
- Create and drive the space vehicle assembly and integration project plan & schedule spanning subject matter areas from the mechanical assembly, parts, materials & processes, and testing
- Integrate our exquisite optical payload onto the spacecraft bus (significant responsibility)
- Own logistics; including critical moving/lifting/shipping operations, coordination with external mechanical sub-assembly suppliers and test shopsWith respect to the latter, this role involves planning aspects of our environmental test campaign from a mechanical and logistical perspective
- Detect, troubleshoot, and resolve vehicle integration issues
- Collaborate with Albedo engineers across all space vehicle disciplines: flight software, logic design, electrical & power, thermal, GN&C, communications, payload, ground, etc to bring our vehicle to life
- Support travel to testing sites (as required)
- Work hand in hand with our technician, refine the solar array assembly and integration plan; including updating tooling and logistics to maximize productivity
Your Ideal Skills and Experience:
- 10+ years of experience in facilities/assembly and integration of complex systems
- Knowledge of best practices for clean and systematic assembly and integration of spacecraft busses
- Knowledge of the integration of complex optical payloads and contamination mitigation
- Experience with speeding up a process, and coming up with highly efficient build and test programs and flows
- Excellent communication of implementation techniques and tradeoffs, and what that does to cost and schedule
- Strong CAD skills - SolidWorks, Creo, NX, or similar
- Experience transitioning designs through drawings, fabrication, kitting, and build
Even if you feel like you don’t meet all of the qualifications, we encourage you to apply! Research shows that while men apply to jobs where they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalized people tend to only apply when they meet 100% of the qualifications.
Full-Time On-Site Work Environment: This position requires regular in-person engagement by working on-site full-time. Travel to other possible non-Albedo locations may be required.
Relocation: Relocation for this position is available
Work is performed in an office environment, laboratory, cleanroom, or production floor.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Additional Requirements: In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. All persons hired will be required to be a U.S. citizen, a lawful permanent resident of the U.S., or protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Albedo is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Questions? Feedback? Feel free to email us at careers @ albedo.com