Senior Mechanical Engineer
Senior Mechanical Engineer
This Senior Mechanical Engineer will work within the Machines team by designing, commissioning, and improving manufacturing equipment for preparing our feedstock. The role will report to the Director of Engineering.
If you’re right for this role, you have been part of the design, build, and/or commissioning of a new piece of manufacturing equipment. You know what it takes to make a reliable & safe machine and are comfortable with taking a tough engineering challenge and making it work.
- Design, build, and test manufacturing equipment for roll-to-roll material processing
- Select and manage external vendors for components, subsystems, and systems
- Run design processes with requirements, specifications, concept generation, concept down-selection, design reviews, etc.
- Drive improvement of overall equipment effectiveness, manufacturing tolerance, process stability, process monitoring, machine reliability, and automation
- Perform machine qualification to demonstrate that production machines can run unattended safely and efficiently
- Own DFMEA, Fault Tree analysis, and hazard analysis to drive robustness into equipment
- Develop and improve engineering documentation
- Determine quality metrics and develop appropriate inspection tools
- Lead the handoff of operation and maintenance from engineering to production, including training, documentation and validation
- Comfortable in a fast-paced startup environment with a bias towards action
- Background in the design and development of manufacturing equipment
- Sound fundamentals and industrial best practices for robust equipment design
- Familiarity with design for manufacturing, including sheet metal, machined and welded parts.
- Exposure to a variety of test and automation systems, control cabinets, production machinery, industrial sensors, PLCs, data acquisition and I/O devices
- GD&T, SolidWorks, and FMEAs
- 5+ years industry experience and a 4-year degree in Engineering
- Familiar with metal additive manufacturing, robotics, or industrial automation
- Experience in industrial cleaning, drying, web-handling, or roll-to-roll manufacturing equipment development is a plus
- Background in fluid or particulate handling systems is a plus
- Experience with rapid prototyping: 3D printing, mill, lathe, laser cutting, CNC, hand tools
- Basic SW experience is always helpful: Python, linux, motion control, or PLC programming
- Flexible paid time off, nine company holidays, and a shutdown around the holidays
- Medical, dental, and vision, including dependency coverage
- 401k with 3% employer contribution, options for pre or post-tax
- Stock options
- All employees are eligible for paid parental leave regardless of gender identity or expression
- Career advancement opportunities in a high-growth environment
- Good coffee, regular happy hours, and weekly team lunches
Alloy Enterprises is transforming how aluminum parts are made. Aluminum will be part of the electrification journey of everything that moves, and flexible, on-demand, and cost-competitive fabrication will be essential to this transition. Automotive, aerospace, and industrial equipment need to be lighter, and fabrication methods need to keep pace with the speed of innovative new designs. Our novel, scalable, full-stack additive manufacturing process disrupts the multi-year lead time, process limitations, and high up-front cost of aluminum casting.
“Alloy Enterprises is fundamentally transforming aluminum manufacturing for transportation, much like Carnegie Steel did for the railroad 100 years ago. Now is the time for us to bring scalable additive aluminum manufacturing to mass production and accelerate our society’s ability to electrify everything that moves.” - Alison Forsyth, CEO
Founded in early 2020, the company has raised $38M and is generating revenue with our pilot manufacturing facility. For the first time, on-demand fabrication meets the cost and scale of casting in an exploding $102B market – largely driven by electrification. We are now building out our team and production fab facilities to meet customer demand. If you are a sleeve-rolling builder who sets their bar high and enjoys thinking out loud in a collaborative and inclusive working environment, we’d love to hear from you.
This position will require access to information subject to control under U.S. export control laws and regulations, including the Export Administration Regulations (“EAR”) and International Traffic in Arms Regulations (“ITAR”). Please note that any offer for employment will be conditioned on authorization to receive controlled items without sponsorship for an export license.