Senior Mechanical Engineer
Alloy Enterprises is transforming how aluminum parts are made. Aluminum will be part of the electrification journey of everything that moves, and flexible, on-demand, and cost-competitive fabrication will be essential to this transition. Automotive, aerospace, and industrial equipment need to be lighter, and fabrication methods need to keep pace with the speed of innovative new designs. Our novel, scalable, full-stack additive manufacturing process disrupts the multi-year lead time, process limitations, and high up-front cost of aluminum casting.
“Alloy Enterprises is fundamentally transforming aluminum manufacturing for transportation, much like Carnegie Steel did for the railroad 100 years ago. Now is the time for us to bring scalable additive aluminum manufacturing to mass production and accelerate our society’s ability to electrify everything that moves.” - Alison Forsyth, CEO
Founded in early 2020, the company has raised $38M and is generating revenue with our pilot manufacturing facility. For the first time, on-demand fabrication meets the cost and scale of casting in an exploding $102B market – largely driven by electrification. We are now building out our team and production fab facilities to meet customer demand. If you are a sleeve-rolling builder who sets their bar high and enjoys thinking out loud in a collaborative and inclusive working environment, we’d love to hear from you.
About the Role
This Senior Mechanical Engineer will work within the Machines team by designing, commissioning, and improving manufacturing equipment for our bonding process and be key in augmenting the Machine team’s ability to design and analyze performance sensitive components. The role will report to the Director of Engineering.
If you’re right for this role, you have been part of the design, build, and/or commissioning of a new piece of manufacturing equipment. You know what it takes to make a reliable & safe machine and are comfortable with taking a tough engineering challenge and making it work.
- Design, build, and test manufacturing equipment for bonding system
- Work closely with rigging vendor for press frame installation
- Contribute to development of advanced thermal management systems
- Take ownership of bonding machine mechanical designs and become an internal authority on the machine’s structure, thermals, and operation
- Contribute to architecture selection of next generation bonding machine for proliferation beyond pilot scale
- Contribute to buildout of Alloy systems to support standardization of engineering practices
- A minimum of 5+ years of experience in a similar role
- Firm understanding of engineering fundamentals
- Experienced as a CAD/PLM/PDM user
- Experience using numerical method (thermal FEA/FEM, structural FEA, or CFD) to design a component or subsystem that has been made
- Experience with Machine Design with emphasis on structures and bearings
- Experience with the development of thermal systems
- Hydraulics experience a plus
- Fluid or gas handling system experience. High Vacuum experience a plus
- GD&T experience
- Vendor management/sourcing of machine parts
- Cooling system design a plus
- Able to work independently on a design project with the knowledge of when and how to check in for feedback + course correction.
- Can right-size technical risk reduction when to prototype, when to build a model, and when to talk to an expert
- Ability to teach self new skills quickly by reading documentation
- Flexible paid time off, nine company holidays, and a shutdown around the holidays
- Medical, dental, and vision, including dependency coverage
- 401k with 3% employer contribution, options for pre or post-tax
- Stock options
- All employees are eligible for paid parental leave regardless of gender identity or expression
- Career advancement opportunities in a high-growth environment
- Good coffee, regular happy hours, and weekly team lunches
This position will require access to information subject to control under U.S. export control laws and regulations, including the Export Administration Regulations (“EAR”) and International Traffic in Arms Regulations (“ITAR”). Please note that any offer for employment will be conditioned on authorization to receive controlled items without sponsorship for an export license.
Equal employment opportunity
We are committed to creating an equitable and inclusive environment for all our employees and seek to build a team that reflects the diversity of the people we hope to serve with our products. We are proud to be an equal-opportunity employer.