Head of Hardware Engineering
Alloy Enterprises is transforming how aluminum parts are made. Aluminum will be part of the electrification journey of everything that moves, and flexible, on-demand, and cost-competitive fabrication will be essential to this transition. Automotive, aerospace, and industrial equipment need to be lighter, and fabrication methods need to keep pace with the speed of innovative new designs. Our novel, scalable, full-stack additive manufacturing process disrupts the multi-year lead time, process limitations, and high up-front cost of aluminum casting.
“Alloy Enterprises is fundamentally transforming aluminum manufacturing for transportation, much like Carnegie Steel did for the railroad 100 years ago. Now is the time for us to bring scalable additive aluminum manufacturing to mass production and accelerate our society’s ability to electrify everything that moves.” - Alison Forsyth, CEO
Founded in early 2020, the company has raised $38M and is generating revenue with our pilot manufacturing facility. For the first time, on-demand fabrication meets the cost and scale of casting in an exploding $102B market – largely driven by electrification. We are now building out our team and production fab facilities to meet customer demand. If you are a sleeve-rolling builder who sets their bar high and enjoys thinking out loud in a collaborative and inclusive working environment, we’d love to hear from you.
About the role
Alloy is looking for a hardware engineering leader to oversee the machines team which will involve providing high-level project oversight, be counted on to weigh in on critical design decisions, managing and give feedback on product requirements as it relates to building Alloy’s next generation of machines. The Head of Hardware will also be critical in the day to day management of the machines team, including mentoring team members and continuing to build out the team.
What you’ll do
- Lead Alloy’s Machines Team, taking responsibility for the design and development of current and future generations of the machines used to run Alloy’s manufacturing process
- Hire, manage, and mentor team-members
- Coordinate with project management and system architects to track the status of projects and (re)prioritize resources as needed
- Direct machine roadmapping by defining goals & milestones; aggregating technical risks; and managing tradeoffs between short and long term risks
- Improve and reinforce the team’s norms and rituals around best practices, engineering/design process, standards, and documentation
- Define handoffs to the manufacturing and production teams; ensuring that there is adequate documentation and verification testing.
What you’ll bring
- 7+ years as an individual contributor in engineering in an industrial setting
- 3+ years of management experience
- Experience scaling an engineering organization and is comfortable right-sizing process to the organizations stage
- Experience with technology development
- Comfortable with agile and waterfall development practices, and able to leverage the strengths of both
- Expert level knowledge of at least two of the following domains: automation, machine design, thermal systems, structures, and/or DFMA
- Flexible paid time off, nine company holidays, and a shutdown around the holidays
- Medical, dental, and vision, including dependency coverage
- 401k with 3% employer contribution, options for pre or post-tax
- Stock options
- All employees are eligible for paid parental leave regardless of gender identity or expression
- Career advancement opportunities in a high-growth environment
- Good coffee, regular happy hours, and weekly team lunches
This position will require access to information subject to control under U.S. export control laws and regulations, including the Export Administration Regulations (“EAR”) and International Traffic in Arms Regulations (“ITAR”). Please note that any offer for employment will be conditioned on authorization to receive controlled items without sponsorship for an export license.
Equal employment opportunity
We are committed to creating an equitable and inclusive environment for all our employees and seek to build a team that reflects the diversity of the people we hope to serve with our products. We are proud to be an equal-opportunity employer.