Materials Process Engineer - Co-op, Fall 2024 (July-December)
Alloy Enterprises is transforming how aluminum parts are made. Aluminum will be part of the electrification journey of everything that moves, and flexible, on-demand, and cost-competitive fabrication will be essential to this transition. Automotive, aerospace, and industrial equipment need to be lighter, and fabrication methods need to keep pace with the speed of innovative new designs. Our novel, scalable, full-stack additive manufacturing process disrupts the multi-year lead time, process limitations, and high up-front cost of aluminum casting.
“Alloy Enterprises is fundamentally transforming aluminum manufacturing for transportation, much like Carnegie Steel did for the railroad 100 years ago. Now is the time for us to bring scalable additive aluminum manufacturing to mass production and accelerate our society’s ability to electrify everything that moves.” - Alison Forsyth, CEO
Founded in early 2020, the company has raised $38M and is generating revenue with our pilot manufacturing facility. For the first time, on-demand fabrication meets the cost and scale of casting in an exploding $102B market – largely driven by electrification. We are now building out our team and production fab facilities to meet customer demand. If you are a sleeve-rolling builder who sets their bar high and enjoys thinking out loud in a collaborative and inclusive working environment, we’d love to hear from you.
We are looking for a Material Process Engineering co-op to help to develop and standardize processes for a novel feedstock material. Strong communication, flexibility, and the desire to “wear many hats'' will all be essential skills for any successful applicant. You will be expected to teach yourself new skills and apply them to complete your tasks and projects, but you will receive guidance and mentorship along the way.
- Tune process parameters to make performance improvements
- Assist in quality control and process improvement efforts for production scale-up
- Develop and perform surface characterization testing and metallographic inspection
- Perform electron and optical microscopy analysis
- Support feedstock alloy development and validation
- Develop and perform mechanical testing methods
- Design and carry out Design of Experiments and other statistical analysis
- Use Alloy’s hardware and software to build sample parts and test specimens
- Provide feedback to mechanical and software engineers on machine performance
- Develop automated data collection, statistical analysis, and reporting on quality metrics
- You take ownership of your projects, completing tasks efficiently and effectively
- You are adaptable and excel when working in a fast-paced environment
- Background or coursework in materials science, mechanical engineering, or controls preferred
- Past industry co-ops or internships strongly desired
- Pursuing a degree in Mechanical Engineering, Manufacturing, Materials, or Chemistry
- Strong communication skills and ability to document technical
- Basic SW experience is a plus: Python, linux, excel, Jira, git, or PLC programming
- Flexible paid time off and nine company holidays
- Medical, dental, and vision, including dependency coverage
- 401k with 3% employer contribution, options for pre or post-tax
- Stock options
- All employees are eligible for paid parental leave regardless of gender identity or expression
- Career advancement opportunities in a high-growth environment
- Good coffee, regular happy hours, and weekly team lunches
This position will require access to information subject to control under U.S. export control laws and regulations, including the Export Administration Regulations (“EAR”) and International Traffic in Arms Regulations (“ITAR”). Please note that any offer for employment will be conditioned on authorization to receive controlled items without sponsorship for an export license.
Equal employment opportunity
We are committed to creating an equitable and inclusive environment for all our employees and seek to build a team that reflects the diversity of the people we hope to serve with our products. We are proud to be an equal-opportunity employer.