Test Engineer - High Pressure Gas Systems
El Segundo, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2024
At Arbor, we are developing a scalable and low-cost approach to Biomass Carbon Removal and Storage (BiCRS) based on modern rocket engine technology. BiCRS is a carbon dioxide removal (CDR) approach that uses biomass to remove CO₂ from the atmosphere and store it permanently underground, while ensuring food security, rural livelihoods, and biodiversity are not affected. Our team brings together a deep passion for science, technology, community, and strategy required to make low-cost, high-quality carbon removal a reality. Our modular technology leverages compact gasification, oxy-combustion with a supercritical CO₂ cycle, and high-pressure turbo-expansion to convert abundant forestry waste biomass into clean electricity, water, and high-purity CO2, capturing and sequestering all emissions from the process.
One year into our journey we: assembled a world-class team of engineers and scientists, raised over $30M from top deeptech investors, pre-sold our first 2000 tons of carbon removal, and are designing our first plant to demonstrate our novel technology capable of generating carbon-negative energy.
Foster Planetary Partnership, Lead with Love, and Explore the Uncharted. Want to know what these mean to us? Just ask.
What You’ll Do:
Design, manufacture, source material, integrate, and construct the next generation of test stands and equipment that allows for the testing and validation of Arbor’s hardware specific to combustion, power generation, and other high pressure gas feed systems. Develop testing procedures, run test campaigns, and post test data review with engineers as we advance our hardware to be truly carbon negative. The scope of work is primarily focused on high pressure gaseous systems, but is not limited, other examples of responsibility related to this role include:
- Develop detailed P&ID’s, drawings, plans, and other design related material for testing of gaseous hardware
- Coordinate with RE’s on hardware, testing, and instrumentation needs; testing procedure of high pressure components, combustion, and power generation systems
- Operate tests alongside with RE’s and support data acquisition and review and follow on actions
- Own design, assembly, and manufacturing of test equipment, hardware, fixtures, supplemental systems, test site infrastructure review and modifications of gaseous hardware and equipment
- Source all materials and suppliers related to test campaign except for RE specific hardware
- Coordinate with RE on engineering walk down (when necessary) for test prep
- Work with systems engineer and RE to ensure correct DAQ setup and data processing
- Run all tests necessary as aligned with RE and leadership, commodities at test sites, and safety related items
- Expected to be hands on and capable of operating basic machinery (drill press, saws, power tools) to support fabrication needs and capable of assembly at test sites (hand tools, power tools, wiring)
Who you are:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or applicable science field
5 years’ experience in an engineering role with gaseous systems and components test design, build, sourcing, and operation
- Hands-on experience with high pressure test equipment such as valves, regulators, compressors, pressure vessels, and safety pressure relief systems
- Demonstrated ability to own projects from beginning to end with minimal oversight
- Experienced with high pressure and high temperature systems including flammable gasses
- Able to execute under pressure (quickly and calmly detect and mitigate hot-fire anomalies)
- Excellent at working in a fast-paced and autonomous environment (aka startup)
- Able to travel locally to test site(s) as needed
It would also be great if you have:
- 8+ years of experience
- Experience with rocket hot-fire testing
- An advanced degree in electrical, mechanical, or aerospace engineering
- Experience in a startup or agile development environment
- In-depth knowledge of rocket engine injectors, gas turbines, or other combustion devices
- Experience with NI LabVIEW or similar software suites
- Coding experience including MATLAB, Python, Java, C++, or similar
What we offer:
Even as a Seed stage company, we are doing our best to compensate fairly and competitively because we want our team to be able to focus on doing work that will help build a truly sustainable civilization. Our compensation & benefits has 3 components:
Salary: Our salary range for this role is $130,000-$150,000 with the exact amount to be determined by level, qualifications, and experience.
Equity: The business opportunity for carbon removal technology is growing rapidly, and we want our team to share in Arbor's successes, so we offer stock options to all employees.
- Up to 90% of employee’s Health Insurance premiums and up to 75% for dependents
- Up to 90% of employee’s Dental Insurance premiums and up to 75% for dependents
- Up to 75% of employee’s Vision Insurance premiums
- 100% of employee’s Life Insurance premiums
- FSA matching
- Unlimited PTO
- 12+ company holidays, including Earth Day!
- Team outings like our Arbor volunteer day
Arbor is an equal opportunity employer. Building a global solution to this global problem will require humans of all varieties to contribute diverse ideas and experiences. That’s why we’ve put recruiting, hiring and retaining individuals from underrepresented groups at the top of our priority list.
We encourage you to apply if you identify as Black, Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander, American Indian or Alaskan Native, Hispanic or Latino, LGBTQ+ – or with any other underrepresented group – even if you don’t tick all the boxes in the description above. We never discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status.