Avalanche is a Seattle-based start-up developing enormously energy dense fusion microreactors for clean power generation. Our compact design allows us to iterate designs in days, build tons of hardware onsite, and apply game-changing fusion power to applications from lunar surface power to transportation to the deep sea. We are seeking a Plasma Physicist for our Seattle facility to work with our team on building, testing and developing our proprietary fusion reactor, ion sources, electrodes, high voltage dielectric components and more. Our future Plasma Physicist is collaborative and enjoys working with teams, big and small. They are able to leverage their expertise to run experiments, identify insights and bring the team along for the journey. This senior role offers the opportunity to work with a passionate team on an ambitious mission to help push humanity forward.
This job might be for you if:
You are an experienced experimental physicist passionate about fusion and decarbonization. You are a creative thinker, you are tenacious, have initiative and love teamwork. You have a history of determination and demonstrating grit. You need to constantly learn; from brainstorming to reading papers to rolling up your sleeves and getting hands-on with the hardware. When you hit a wall, you figure out ways to get around it. You want to be part of a mission that matters.
- Lead plasma experiment development on one of our test cells.
- Lead, plan and perform analysis on reactor configurations including fusion power, Bremsstrahlung and various loss mechanisms.
- Plan, design and specify experiment instrumentation and metrology tools and processes.
- Help lead Avalanche’s scientific studies, including publishing papers and supporting regulatory, government outreach and proposal activities.
Qualifications and Skills:
- PhD in Physics, Engineering, closely related fields or relevant experience.
- Experience in design, procurement, specification, assembly, safety, operations, and analysis of plasma experiments.
- Significant knowledge of plasma instrumentation, and diagnostic tools.
- Experimental data analysis and diagnosis.
- Experience and knowledge of positive ion source technologies, tools and methods.
- Experience working in a multidisciplinary research environment.
Bonus Skills and Experience:
- Experience with high energy plasmas.
- Experience with plasma simulation codes including Particle-in-Cell (PIC).
- Experience in the fusion industry.
- Experience with COMSOL/FEM analysis.
- 5+ years post-PhD experience.
- Great medical, dental and vision benefits.
- Small, tight-knit team with low barriers to action.
- Exposure to a wide variety of problems for unparalleled, hands-on professional growth.
- Weekly, employer-provided team meals and a well-stocked kitchen.
- Stock options in a potentially transformative company with unicorn potential.
- Other double-secret perks.
We value people of all races, ethnicities, genders, ages, religions, and sexual orientations. We also acknowledge the value that different life experiences bring to our organization. Avalanche is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage all individuals who are excited about delivering fusion energy to the world to apply.
Let's Do This!