Mechanical Design Engineer - Propulsion
South Burlington, VT, USA
Posted on Saturday, July 29, 2023
At Beta Technologies, together we apply our intellectual curiosity, passion for aviation, and commitment to sustainability toward a shared mission of revolutionizing electric aviation. Regardless of the position one holds, each team member brings their talent and desire to positively impact the environment and lives of others in a refreshing, vibrant, and inclusive culture.
The Propulsion Mechanical Design Engineer will contribute to the development of propulsion system components used in the motors and inverters, from a blank page to a certified product. Not only do we design, build and test the motors and inverters, we also develop manufacturing tooling and validation equipment such as propeller stands, dynos, and benchtop test rigs. Our design to validation cycle is extremely rapid and we own it all. If you love to design, analyze, build, and test your ideas at a fast pace, you’ll be happy at Beta.
How you will contribute to revolutionizing electric aviation:
- Design products with CATIA, create drawings, and manage BOMs
- Perform hand calculations and or FEA to ensure product integrity at minimum weight.
- Develop and build prototypes and run experiments to inform future designs
- Collaborate with internal and external fabricators and the supply chain team to see parts through manufacturing
- Develop scalable manufacturing processes in parallel with product design
- Collaborate with the manufacturing team to bring products to production
- Collaborate with the systems and certification team to ensure certifiability of products.
Minimum Qualifications we are seeking:
- Minimum 3 years experience in mechanical design (Internships and other projects absolutely count here)
- Ability to design parts that are lightweight, strong, and manufacturable, with a demonstrated track record (seeing your portfolio of great designs will get us excited)
- Mastery of 3D CAD (Catia preferred or Solidworks or NX)
- Experience making drawings with pragmatic GD&T.
- Experience with prototype testing
- Good team, communication, and leadership skills are required. The ability to work with minimal supervision and identify strategies to remove roadblocks is paramount. Mental flexibility and the ability to change direction based on new information is an absolute must in our fast-paced environment.
- Google G -Suite including drive, mail, calendar, docs, sheets, slides, charts, hangouts; slack, application lifecycle
Above and Beyond Qualifications that will distinguish you:
- Experience in FEA (ANSYS preferred)
- Experience in CFD (Solidworks Flow Sim or FloEFD preferred)
- GD&T master
- Matlab (data analysis, AppDesigner for GUIs)
- Strong knowledge of vibration
- Experience with rotating machinery
- Experience with electrical motors, inverters
- Experience with controls of Surface Permanent Magnet Synchronous Machine (SPMSM)
- Ability to work hard to meet our ambitious goals and tight deadlines.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands or fingers, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate.
Please be aware that you may be invited to complete a Video Screening interview. This invite will be sent by email (firstname.lastname@example.org). We highly recommend completing this step of the application process within the following 48 hours should you be invited.
Note: Be sure to check your Junk folder
BETA Technologies provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, place of birth, citizenship, disability, veteran or military status, health coverage status, HIV status, genetic information, crime victim status, pregnancy or a pregnancy-related condition or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law. The company does not discriminate, and will not discriminate, and will not tolerate discrimination, based on any of these characteristics during the application process or in employment.
All offers of employment at BETA Technologies are contingent upon favorable results of a thorough background check.
BETA Technologies is an E-Verify employer.