2024-2025 BETA Internship (North Carolina)
Raleigh, NC, USA
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2023
Overall Internship Position Summary
BETA Technologies is an aerospace company and electric aircraft manufacturer developing fully-electric vertical take-off and landing (eVTOL) aircraft and related charging networks. Headquartered in Burlington, Vermont, BETA also has locations in D.C., Ohio, New York, Montreal, and North Carolina.
At BETA Technologies, we apply our intellectual curiosity, passion for aviation, and commitment to sustainability toward a shared mission of revolutionizing electric aviation. Regardless of the position one holds, each team member brings their talent and desire to positively impact the environment and lives of others in a refreshing, vibrant, and inclusive culture.
We support Internships across the entire company. To simplify the application process, we're introducing a single application for Internship candidates. Please review the qualifications below and select the opportunity that aligns best with your skills and experience.
Our recruitment team will carefully assess your application. If we believe you'd be a better fit for a different area of our business, we'll reach out to discuss that opportunity further. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
If your skills or experiences don't precisely match any of the opportunities listed, don't worry! We invite you to apply to our General Internship opening and include a cover letter further specifying your interest within BETA. This is your opportunity to showcase how you can contribute to BETA’s mission!
General Intern Qualifications
BETA Interns (regardless of their specific focus) possess the following qualifications:
• Strong, demonstrated interest in aviation, technology, or sustainability.
• Self-starter who is high-energy, hardworking, organized, disciplined, and able to work independently.
• Strong critical thinking and analytical skills.
• Desire to work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Experience in supporting and working with cross-functional teams.
• Pursuing a Bachelor’s Degree or Master’s (in a related field) from an accredited University.
• Previous internship experience working in aircraft, rotorcraft, or any other fast-paced industry.
• University/Collegiate design projects or personal-related project experience related to entrepreneurship and/or electric aviation.
Team-Specific Intern Qualifications
Please review and select which area best aligns with your skills and experience:
AIRBORNE ELECTRONICS (ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING)
As an Intern on BETA’s Electrical Team, you will be an integral part of rapid prototyping and testing of proof-of-concept and certified aircraft electronics design including inverters, instrumentation, battery management and charging, flight controls, and more. Electrical team interns will design their own printed circuit boards and assist with analysis and testing of complex designs and systems. BETA is looking for candidates to join the Electrical Team who have demonstrated experience in one or more of the following:
• Knowledge of electrical fundamentals that may cover basic circuit analysis, power electronics, embedded systems, analog signal conditioning and filter analysis, analog to digital converters, serial communication protocols (SPI, UART, I2C, CAN), discrete logic circuits, motor control, etc. Familiarity with STM or TI processors is a plus.
• Demonstrated hands-on experience and ability to operate lab equipment including low and high-voltage power supplies, function generators, oscilloscopes, multimeters, spectrum analyzers, soldering irons, heat guns, crimping tools, etc.
• Familiarity with and respect for electrical safety.
• Previous experience working with printed circuit board design, assembly, and troubleshooting preferred (KiCAD and Altium are our tools of choice, but experience with any EDA software is great!).
• Coding experience is a plus (C/C++, Python, Matlab, Arduino, etc).
• Involvement in Electrical Engineering and/or Aerospace clubs (CubeSat, Rocket, EV ex: Formula SAE electric racing club) or self-starting electronics personal projects. Show us what you've built!
FLIGHT CONTROL SYSTEMS (AEROSPACE AND MECHANICAL ENGINEERING)
As a Flight Controls Systems Engineer Intern, you will be involved with the development and documentation of test environments, test and simulation data analysis, and integration as related to Flight Control Systems. The Flight Control System consists of Flight Control Computers and many of the devices that interface with it. BETA is looking for candidates with experience in one or more of the following:
• Conceptual understanding of fixed-wing and rotorcraft systems.
• Proficiency in MATLAB/Simulink.
• Experience working in an electronics lab/environment.
• Proficiency with typical shop tools (hand tools, power tools, hardware, etc.).
• Understanding of digital communication networks and associated protocols (CAN, ARINC 429, RS 422)
• Familiarity with industry-standard test methodology (ISO, MIL-STD-810, DO-160G)
BETA Technologies is seeking versatile and capable Mechanical Engineering Interns to join our team with a focus on supporting the needs of various projects and teams across the company. These teams may include, but are not limited to: Electronics, Lift Kit, and Manufacturing.
• Proficiency with 3D CAD software (Catia preferred or Solidworks)
• Proficiency with typical shop tools (hand tools, power tools, hardware, etc.)
• Experience making drawings with GD&T
• Experience with prototype testing.
• Demonstrated experience in mechanical design
• Experience with static and modal finite element analysis (ANSYS preferred).
• Experience with CFD (Solidworks Flow Sim preferred).
• Experience using MATLAB or Python for data analysis.
• Experience modeling and testing polymer materials.
• Experience with composite stress analysis.
AIRBORNE SOFTWARE (COMPUTER SCIENCE AND SOFTWARE ENGINEERING)
BETA Technologies is seeking versatile and capable Software Interns to join our team with a focus on supporting the Airborne Software projects, including Flight Control Software, Motor Control Software, and Battery Pack Control Software. BETA is looking for candidates who substantially meet the following:
• Competency with the C programming language and build tools/development environments.
• Strong knowledge of and experience with one or more common Software Development Life Cycle models, such as Agile, Lean, Iterative, Incremental, or V-model.
• Familiarity with Version Control Systems, such as Subversion, Git, GitHub, GitLab, or BitBucket.
• Solid understanding of the principle of Separation of Concerns.
• Exposure to one or more of the following: motor control, temperature sensors, analog-to-digital converters, CAN/I2C/SPI bus interfaces.
• Safety Mindset - understanding the broader implications of design and implementation choices.
• Competency in Python or Simulink.
• Familiarity with Requirements Engineering methods and techniques.
• Experience with Software Integration and Embedded Software Testing Techniques.
• Experience configuring, running code, and interfacing with peripherals on lightweight computers such as Raspberry Pis and/or embedded systems.
• Demonstrated experience with bare metal embedded programming of STM or Texas Instruments ARM Microcontrollers.
Please be aware that you may be invited to complete a Video Screening interview. This invite will be sent by email (email@example.com). We highly recommend completing this step of the application process within the following 48 hours should you be invited.
Note: Be sure to check your Junk folder
BETA Technologies provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, place of birth, citizenship, disability, veteran or military status, health coverage status, HIV status, genetic information, crime victim status, pregnancy or a pregnancy-related condition or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law. The company does not discriminate, and will not discriminate, and will not tolerate discrimination, based on any of these characteristics during the application process or in employment.
All offers of employment at BETA Technologies are contingent upon favorable results of a thorough background check.
BETA Technologies is an E-Verify employer.