Instrumentation Engineer | Flight Test
South Burlington, VT, USA
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2024
At Beta Technologies, we apply our intellectual curiosity, passion for aviation, and commitment to sustainability toward a shared mission of revolutionizing electric aviation. Regardless of the position one holds, each team member brings their talent and desire to positively impact the environment and lives of others in a refreshing, vibrant, and inclusive culture.
This position will be based primarily in South Burlington with the expectation that commuting to Plattsburgh, NY will be required as needed. Instrumentation Engineer is a key support role for our upcoming certification flight test program for data collection, retrieval and storage. This position requires an engineer who can lead the development, design, installation, and maintenance of Flight Test Instrumentation Systems for experimental aircraft and testing platforms. This will require working with engineering teams for overall assessment of requirements, and then applying those requirements to the selection, design, and integration of the flight test instrumentation systems. The Instrumentation Engineer will provide hands-on support for Data Acquisition installations, and day-to-day operations (preflights, data retrieval, storage, and general system maintenance).
How you will contribute to revolutionizing electric aviation:
- Works with engineering to develop data requirements for the flight test programs
- Construction and ownership of parameter index list for each test platform
- Conducts detailed design of the data acquisition system, including transducer selection, engineering schematics, and bill of materials
- Responsible for overseeing the integration, checkout, and calibration of the flight test data systems
- Maintain instrumentation configuration control of the aircraft and control rooms.
- Ensures that the Flight Test Instrumentation systems are configured for test
- Works with the software team to ensure data storage and retrieval methods will support the flight test program
- Support day-to-day operations by overseeing aircraft preflights, control room operations, post-flights, and troubleshooting activities
- Potential to support data visualization tools (IADS)
Minimum Qualifications we are seeking:
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or relevant Technical experience
- Proficiency in electro-mechanical engineering and fundamental physics required
- Understanding of sensing, measurement, and data acquisition techniques
- Hands-on experience using required tools and techniques to facilitate building, deploying, and maintaining complex data acquisition systems and subsystems
- Requires excellent documentation skills and attention to detail
- Ability to creatively propose various possible solutions to problems
- Clear communication with team members to aid in work planning and raise any blockers or needs
- Team player who can work in a flexible way to support changing requirements and priorities
Above and Beyond Qualifications that will distinguish you:
- Familiar with data acquisition software tools such as IADs, Labvie, or other
- Experience working with the FAA or other certification agencies
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
Ability to coordinate with aircraft maintenance teams and work in parallel with them for hands-on support of multiple data acquisition systems. Possible evenings and weekends, as dictated by testing schedule priorities.
Each of our backgrounds influences how we evaluate our own abilities. Research reveals that BIPOC, LGBTQ+, women, those from working-class backgrounds, individuals with disabilities, and other marginalized groups may hesitate to apply for roles if they don't meet all the requirements. Many skills can be learned on the job. If you can envision contributing value to our community and meet most criteria, we encourage you to apply.
BETA Technologies provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, place of birth, citizenship, disability, veteran or military status, health coverage status, HIV status, genetic information, crime victim status, pregnancy or a pregnancy-related condition or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law. The company does not discriminate, and will not discriminate, and will not tolerate discrimination, based on any of these characteristics during the application process or in employment.
All offers of employment at BETA Technologies are contingent upon favorable results of a thorough background check.
BETA Technologies is an E-Verify employer.
Please be aware that you may be invited to complete a Video Screening interview. This invite will be sent by email (firstname.lastname@example.org). We highly recommend completing this step of the application process within the following 48 hours should you be invited.
Note: Be sure to check your Junk folder