Senior Process Engineer (Electrode Production)
Hayward, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2023
SummaryAre you a Process Engineer who is passionate about clean energy? Have you worked in the battery, fuel cell, solar, electronic materials, pharmaceutical or other high speed process manufacturing industries? Are you hungry for a role where you will have an immediate impact across the company and in the industry? Batteries are the single most critical part of the new energy economy for EVs, grid storage, consumer electronics and IoT. Blue Current has developed a solid- state battery solution that exceeds the best batteries in the industry. The company is well funded and has a deep IP portfolio with dozens of patents granted and pending. Now we need you to drive the next level of innovation in our cell manufacturing process. DescriptionAs a Senior Process Engineer, you will be focused on developing electrode production processes and working with manufacturing equipment to produce next generation solid state cells that utilize Blue Current's novel solid-state electrolyte. This is a hands-on, fast paced position with a team of scientists and engineers that have a shared passion to change the energy storage landscape. Responsibilities
- Develop and optimize solid state electrode powder and slurry mixing processes and scale mixing protocols to high volume slurry mixers.
- Develop roll-to-roll coating, calendaring and slitting processes to scale solid state electrode production.
- Work hands-on with manufacturing equipment to identify best process protocols and parameters, and opportunities for process yield and quality improvement.
- Troubleshoot electrode production processes and process equipment as issues arise.
- Utilize failure mode and effects analysis and root cause analysis to drive process optimization.
- Assist in assembling solid state cells and in analyzing electrochemical test results to drive process development.
- Work with team members to integrate and scale new battery materials and production methods.
- Document and analyze manufacturing process records and experimental results. Present and share results with team members.
- BS in Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, or related fields. MS or PhD preferred.
- 5+ years experience working with lithium-ion battery, fuel cell, capacitor or semiconductor manufacturing processes and production equipment.
- Experience working with powder mixing, slurry mixing, coating, calendering, slitting equipment is preferred (e.g. high speed powder mixer, planetary mixers, roll-to-roll coating, slot-die, comma blade, gravure, etc.).
- Experience analyzing and optimizing manufacturing processes using failure mode and effects analysis, root cause analysis, and statistical process control methods is preferred (DOE, 6 sigma, Cp and Cpk, GRR, FMEA, PFMEA, Using JMP/Minitab).
- Experience using analytical equipment for powder, slurry and electrode (Rheometer, PSA, Powder characteristics analysis, SEM, Beta/X ray thickness measurement).
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills and experience working with team members to overcome technical challenges.
- Appreciation for and adherence to lab and work safety policies.