Boston Metal’s molten oxide electrolysis cells are commercializing cutting-edge extractive metallurgy technology that will revolutionize primary metals production by improving metal quality while decreasing cost and lowering environmental impact. This fast-paced startup company is looking for a Materials/Ceramic Engineer to join our passionate team.
The Materials/Ceramic Engineer will design and develop refractory, bills of materials, scopes of work and drawings for all aspects molten oxide electrolysis steelmaking. Also required are all steps in the procurement process: RFQ creation, vendor selection, and active managing of vendors on PO. Additional responsibilities will include thermal analysis for refractory design. Success in this role requires cross-functional coordination between R&D, cell and plant engineering, automation, and operations teams.
- Create conceptual designs of new cells
- Perform refractory selection and post-mortem analysis based on required furnace temperatures, electrolyte compatibility, and functionalities
- Prepare studies, reports, designs, specifications, sketches, diagrams, schematic drawings, and final working/construction drawings
- Complete review of refractory bids for specification and bill of material compliance prior to final order placement
- Participate in R&D discussions on refractory implications from chemical process
- Incorporating feedback from non-mechanical engineering teams into designs
- Designing around key program requirements
- Manage refractory contractors during bricking/installation/demolition
Required Skills & Experience
Bachelors Degree in Metallurgical Engineering or Materials Science and Engineering and/or 2-5 yrs industry experience in steel, ferrous foundry, aluminum or glass refractory design and application.
- Experience with high temperature materials
- Ability to run thermal analysis is a plus (Comsol, Solidworks)
- Required expertise in 3D Solidworks modeling and drafting.
- R&D experience a plus
- Proven ability to creatively problem solve
- Ability to work independently and in small groups
You will be working in a small team environment where teamwork and good relationships with other team members is critical. Many of our staff members are required to wear Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) and you should be prepared to do so as well when necessary.
We offer a full benefits package including health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, paid vacation, sick time & holidays, and a 401k with company matching provision.
Boston Metal is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy or pregnancy related condition, genetic information, ancestry, disability, veteran or military status or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Please provide resume if interested.