Legal and Compliance Manager
Boston Metal is commercializing cutting edge extractive metallurgy technology that will revolutionize primary metals production by improving metal quality while decreasing cost and lowering environmental impact. This growing, fast-paced startup company is looking for a professional Legal and Compliance Manager to support our Global In-house General Council as we build our in-house legal and compliance capabilities.
The Legal and Compliance Manager will ensure that the organization operates in accordance with applicable laws, regulations, and internal policies. They will be responsible for developing, implementing, and maintaining compliance programs to mitigate legal and regulatory risks. They will be expected to provide legal advice and guidance to the organization on a wide range of legal matters and ensure compliance with laws and regulations while protecting the organization’s interest.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Developing and implementing compliance policies and procedures to ensure adherence to legal and regulatory requirements.
- Conducting regular audits and assessments to identify compliance gaps and recommend corrective actions.
- Monitoring changes in laws and regulations and updating internal policies accordingly.
- Provide legal advice and support on various legal issues, including contracts, employment law, intellectual property, regulatory compliance, real estate, data privacy, corporate governance and other commercial issues that arise.
- Drafting, reviewing, and negotiating contracts, agreements, and other legal documents.
- Assessing and managing legal risks associated with business decisions and providing recommendations to mitigate those risks.
- Collaborating with internal stakeholders, such as senior management, human resources, supply chain, and technology leaders to provide guidance and support.
- Representing the organization in contract negotiations.
- Managing relationships with external legal counsel and overseeing their work when necessary.
- Keeping abreast of changes in laws and regulations that may impact the organization and advising on necessary adjustments to policies and procedures.
- Ensuring compliance with applicable laws, regulations, and internal policies.
- Implement and maintain legal document filing system and database ensuring documents are complete and accurate.
- Bachelor’s degree in law, business, or related field. Law degree and license to practice law a plus.
- Minimum 5 years of experience working in corporate legal department or law firm.
- Certification in compliance or related discipline.
- Strong knowledge of applicable laws and regulations.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Extreme attention to detail.
- Effective written and verbal communication including presentation skills.
- Strong understanding of contract law and business law.
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment.
You will be working in a small team environment where teamwork and good relationships with other team members is critical. We operate pilot plants and labs and many of our staff members are required to wear Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) and you should be prepared to do so as well when necessary.
We offer a full benefits package including health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, paid vacation, sick & holidays, and a 401k with company matching provision.
Boston Metal is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, disability, ancestry, genetic information, veteran or military status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state or local law.