Business Development Manager
Camus Energy was founded in 2019 in the San Francisco Bay area. We have deep experience designing and operating distributed systems, and a passion for combating climate change. From pioneering work at Google, SpaceX, and Uber, we bring expertise in massively parallel cloud computing, high-scale real-time analytics, and high-reliability computing.
We work on building software for the grid. The challenges faced by grid operators in an evolving energy landscape are unique. The existing grid is one of humanity’s largest machines, and keeping it running safely and smoothly is critical to modern life. But as it becomes smarter, more connected, and more dynamic, we can draw lessons from other industries about how to manage the challenges of scale and reliability for an effective energy transition.
We founded Camus Energy to lend our software engineering skills to address climate change. We are committed to accelerating the adoption of renewable energy and the reduction of carbon emissions from the energy grid.
We believe that we can combine our desire to impact the world with our technical expertise to bring about positive change. And we are going to have fun doing it.
Camus Energy is transforming how utilities operate the electric grid and accelerating the transition to a zero-carbon future. We provide grid operators with high-reliability software to harness local energy resources – from rooftop solar to electric vehicles, smart water heaters, and more – to lower costs, boost reliability, and reduce carbon emissions.
We are in search of a Business Development Manager who will develop new commercial relationships with public power utilities, especially electric cooperatives. This role will play a pivotal part in growing Camus’ revenue and impact within the public power sector – building on the company’s success to date. This role will focus on the eastern half of the United States.
- Develop new qualified leads at industry trade shows and conferences
- Contact and qualify Marketing Qualified Leads (MQLs) within the public power sector, assessing their unmet needs, willingness to spend, and budget authority
- Introduce Camus’ grid orchestration software, with support from sales engineers, and nurture interest in and consideration of our solution
- Develop and execute account plans for target accounts
- Author and present sales proposals to qualified opportunities
- Close deals, with support from the Vice President of Business Development
- Ensure the CRM remains updated and useful, creating reports and sharing funnel updates and next steps with the extended Camus commercial team
- Contribute to the development of new sales presentations and materials
- Collaborate with Customer Success to ensure a smooth transition from closed deal to happy customer
As a member of a small, nimble business development team, this is a role with potential for significant impact and room for growth. It is a mid-level position suited for someone with 3+ years of professional sales or business development experience. Experience working with electric utilities is a significant plus.
- Experience working directly in or for a utility, or deep knowledge of grid and utility systems, including power systems planning, system management challenges, and utility control room software
- Experience with direct sales and/or account management, particularly experience with selling complex software or SaaS solutions
- Experience effectively selling into VP- and C-suite levels of large organizations
- Great communications skills, including presentation skills, written communication, and demonstrated ability to creatively explain and present complex concepts in an easy-to understand manner.
- Consultative Sales experience to deliver compelling customer solutions / propositions, writing business and technical scenarios, and producing user stories for a software development team.
- Technical or operations experience in a relevant field
- Deep familiarity with software development or SaaS services
- Familiarity with the public power sector, particularly electric co-ops and municipal utilities
- Passion for clean energy, decarbonization, and the power sector
Remote - Eastern United States preferred.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.