Instrument and Control Valve Commissioning Technician
Commonwealth Fusion Systems
Devens, MA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, January 3, 2024
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
The SPARC Plant Instrumentation and Control Team seek an experienced Instrumentation and Control Valve Installation and Commissioning Technician for the installation, calibration, commissioning testing, and troubleshooting of sensing and control equipment for a large variety of components from multiple different manufacturers. Ranges of process systems include cooling water, HVAC, cryogenic fluids, ultra high vacuum, various types of gases, and radiation monitoring. Equipment types range from standard process fluid measurements and controls (e.g. temperature, flow, level, air operated valves) to sensors that can measure cryogenic temperatures as low as 8 Kelvin, vacuums in the micro-Torr range, and with flows controlled by piezo control valves. Component interfaces include hardwired, Profibus (DP and PA), Profinet, Modbus, BacNET, and possibly others.
This team member will:
- Collaborate with the fluid system designers and the I&C designers to understand the various types of equipment and interface protocols in the designs
- Utilize manufacturer literature and other resources to develop expertise in the installation and testing of the various types of equipment and interface protocols
- Utilize engineering deliverables such as P&IDs, instrument lists, signal lists, loop diagrams, data sheets and cabling schedules to commission the components and systems
- Perform troubleshooting on equipment and communication links
- Clearly communicate issues to their supervisor and/or I&C design engineers when discrepancies and/or unexpected results are discovered
- Determine and procure the necessary test equipment and tools to support the work
- Ensure safety is always the first priority in any testing activity
- Train other technicians and equipment operators in the I&C equipment commissioning and troubleshooting
- Report on and be accountable for progress to their supervisor
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- 6+ years experience experience installing, commissioning, and troubleshooting instrumentation and control equipment in industries such as oil and gas, nuclear, and chemical
- Experience using and analyzing the output of test equipment needed to support the described equipment calibrations and troubleshooting
- Experience verifying and tuning instrument control loops
- Experience with safety procedure and processes in a construction environment
- Experience training technicians and equipment operators in the I&C equipment installation, commissioning, and troubleshooting
- Experience documenting results in a database
Additional experience and/or qualifications:
- Experience in installing, commissioning, and troubleshooting instrumentation and control equipment in systems such as cryogenics and ultra high vacuum
- Experience with Siemens PLCs, I/O modules and TIA Portal
- Experience entering and retrieving information from AVEVA or Smart Plant Instrumentation and/or other database systems
- Onsite required daily in Devens MA within 1 month of date of hire
- Perform activities such as stooping, climbing, typing, standing, sitting, etc. for extended periods of time
- Dedication to safety to mitigate industrial hazards that may include heat, cold, noise, fumes, strong magnets, lead (Pb), high voltage, and cryogenics
- Willingness to occasionally travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.