Intellectual Property Attorney
Commonwealth Fusion Systems
Devens, MA, USA
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2024
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
CFS is developing cutting-edge technology for fusion energy and other applications. It has and continues to develop a very large portfolio of intellectual property. The Intellectual Property Attorney will manage all aspects of IP within CFS.
This team member will:
- Own all aspects of IP management
- Develop and maintain lists of IP, ensuring the information is properly protected
- Work with inventors on properly disclosing IP
- Interface with external law firm on IP prosecution
- Review information before public disclosure to ensure IP is protected and it contains no confidential information
- Ensure IP sections in contracts are within CFS’ best interests
- Collaborate with HR, Compliance, IT, Business and other CFS divisions on cross-cutting IP issues
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- BS in Engineering and/or Science required
- PhD in Engineering and/or Science strongly preferred
- JD required
- 5+ years practicing IP law, including foreign and domestic patent preparation and prosecution
- Active USPTO Registration
- Good standing in the bar(s) where licensed to practice law
- Work primarily with growth-stage startups in interdisciplinary technologies
- Superior technical, verbal, and written communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Initiative taker, actively sources IP and looks for issues to solve
Additional preferred experience and/or qualifications:
- Fusion energy and related technologies (e.g., superconducting magnets, tritium, cryogenics, etc.)
- Work in a facility that contains industrial hazards including heat, cold, noise, fumes, strong magnets, lead (Pb), high voltage, high current, pressure systems, and cryogenics
- Regular travel to all other CFS sites (presently Somerville, MA and Milpitas, CS) multiple times per year will be required
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.