Milpitas, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, April 28, 2023
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
This CFS Controls System Engineer will be responsible for the design, build/debug, and implementation of the electrical/mechanical and controls aspects of advanced R&D equipment and complex machinery.
This team member will:
- Work within a multi-disciplinary and proven team of top scientists and engineers
- Specify, write, and test control software for advanced equipment
- Own the specification, selection, sourcing, and implementation of key components and sub-systems such as power distribution, interlocks, sensors, and actuators
- Work closely with process team to outline interfaces and requirements for equipment and sub-systems
- Engage with mechanical and electrical engineers on concepts, designs, and test plans
- Work with external vendors and job shops to deliver hardware that meets design specifications
- Report on and be accountable for project progress to the Head of Superconductor R&D
- Work with external software contractors to develop the control systems for internal production tools (Define requirements, manage priorities, drive testing and implementation plans)
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- At least a bachelor’s degree in a relevant engineering field (e.g., electrical, software)
- 3+ years of experience as a controls engineer on complex mechanical systems -- for example: design, construction, and operation of controls for industrial, large-scale equipment
- Experience developing and tuning control loops
- Demonstrated ability to conceive novel solutions to challenging problems
- Demonstrated implementation and maintenance of safety systems and procedures based on ISO 13:849 or equivalent
- Experience in complying with Semi-S2 and Semi-S8 standards
- Experience with fieldbus systems such as DeviceNet and Ethercat
- Experience with AC & DC power distribution and controls
- Experience with cable and harness specification / sourcing
- C++ Coding and Code review, GIT Hub code release management
- PLC programming experience in IEC 611:31-3 languages
- Familiarity with Beckhoff, Allen Bradley, or closely related systems
- HMI design, implementation and maintenance with user input
- Experience with specification generation and suppler engagement
- Knowledge of interlock systems and methods that conform to Semi S2
- Familiarly with applying ISO, NFPA, UL and other standards to design solutions
- High self-motivation and drive to execute quickly with excellent troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
Additional preferred experience and/or qualifications:
- Expertise with CAD modeling and drafting
- Experience with Sapphire Automation framework
- Knowledge of high-vacuum systems and hardware
- A value for design for manufacturability, serviceability, and simplicity over complexity
- Ability to occasionally lift up to 50 lbs
- Ability to perform activities such as such as stooping, climbing, standing, or sitting for extended periods of time
- Dedication to safety to mitigate hazards that may include noise and fumes
- Willingness to occasionally travel
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.
See more open positions at Commonwealth Fusion
Something looks off?