Chief Operating Officer
Devens, MA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2023
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
CFS intends to fully displace fossil fuel production of electricity through a global deployment of thousands of ARC fusion power plants. This will require substantial scaling of global manufacturing, supply chain, plant construction, tokamak operations, and energy infrastructure, and we are looking for our next Chief Operating Officer to drive these operations and scaling efforts.
This role is the top operational leader in the company, responsible for safely delivering everything that goes into our power plants through our manufacturing, supply chain, and other operations. As COO, you will set and deliver CFS’s vision for operational excellence and build an operation that transforms the energy industry. This role reports directly to the CEO and will collaborate closely with CFS’s Board and be a member of the Executive Leadership Team.
This team member will:
- Lead CFS’s company-wide operations, including Manufacturing, Supply Chain, Quality, IT, Enterprise Information Systems, Facilities, and others. Deliver the operational capabilities that will deliver the world’s first commercially viable fusion power plants
- Drive results and speed throughout the operation. Implement metrics and KPIs that are aligned to CFS’s objectives and drive delivery to those metrics
- Scale CFS’s operation to deliver SPARC, then the first ARCs, then 10,000 ARCs by 2050 to fully displace fossil fuel production of electricity
- Build the CFS Production System. Set and deliver CFS’s vision for operational excellence, continuous improvement, and systems thinking. Build CFS’s operations and culture into a Shingo Prize-worthy exemplar of execution
- Serve as a member of CFS’s Executive Leadership Team and a strategic thought partner to the CEO
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- 20+ years of operations experience delivering relevant high tech engineering systems and hardware products in a fast-paced and quickly scaling environments
- Significant experience in hardware manufacturing, supply chain, construction, and plant operations
- Executive leadership experience growing companies from ~500 to ~5,000 employees and above, and manufacturing operations from 200,000 square feet to millions of square feet of production space
- Experience building cutting edge operational tools and systems that transform operational efficiency and feedback loops throughout the organization
- Substantial experience at building and growing operational teams with a demonstrated track record for delivery on fast timelines
- Results oriented, get-stuff-done leadership
- A strong ability to understand deeply technical and complex products, including tokamaks, power plant systems, and superconducting magnet product lines
- Thrives in a fast paced and quickly scaling company (currently ~600 employees, growing to thousands by first ARCs)
- Advanced degree related to operations and/or technology delivery is a plus
Additional preferred experience and/or qualifications:
- Perform activities such as stooping, climbing, typing, standing, or sitting for extended periods of time
- Dedication to safety to mitigate industrial hazards that may include heat, cold, noise, fumes, strong magnets, lead (Pb), high voltage, and cryogenics
- Willingness to occasionally travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call.
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.