Commonwealth Fusion Systems
Devens, MA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2023
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
As an Electro-Mechanical Engineer for the SPARC RF heating system, you will be in perform thermal, structural, and electromagnetic analysis using hand calculations and finite element method. You will develop design notes, technical specifications, assembly procedures and documentation necessary to prototype, manufacture, commission and install the RF components in Devens, MA. In your role you will also support procurement in the preparation and execution of manufacturing contracts. In addition, CFS will embark on significant internal assembly, commissioning and integration tasks that will require electro-mechanical engineering activities.
This work is conducted within a multi-disciplinary team of physicists and engineers.
This team member will:
- Perform thermal, structural, and electromagnetic analysis of SPARC RF components using ANSYS
- Produce design concepts and process fixturing using NX
- Produce dimensional drawings with appropriate tolerancing for manufacturing and vendor quoting
- Provide technical support, and documentation for procurement and assembly of SPARC RF components
- Support the development of the tooling for assembly
- Support the resolution of technical issues that arise during the manufacturing and installation of the SPARC RF components
- Perform proof of principle and hand calculations as necessary to confirm the validity of the analysis
- Prepare reports and presentations as requested
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, physics, or another relevant field
- Proficiency in one or more CAD programs such as Solidworks, Solidedge, AutoCAD, etc
- Experience with electro-mechanical devices
- Familiarity with basic machining techniques, welding processes and current, general fabrication concepts
- Some background performing structural FEA analysis
- Exceptional attention to detail
- An ability to clearly express and critique ideas
- An emphasis on elegance and simplicity over complexity
- The ability to thrive in fast-paced, dynamic environments
- A drive toward commercially viable solutions
- Values that align with our company’s values of integrity, execution, impact, and self-critique
Additional preferred experience and/or qualifications:
- Hands-on experience developing hardware
- Ability to occasionally lift up to 50 lbs
- Perform activities such as standing or sitting for extended periods of time
- Willingness to travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call occasionally
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.