Manager, ML Engineering
Hi, we are ecobee.
ecobee introduced the world’s first smart Wi-Fi thermostat to help millions of consumers save money, conserve energy, and bring home automation into their lives. That was just the beginning. We continue our pursuit to create technology that brings peace of mind into the home and allows people to focus on the moments that matter most. We take pride in making a meaningful difference to the environment, all while being part of the exciting, connected home revolution.
In 2021, ecobee became a subsidiary of Generac Power Systems. Generac introduced the first affordable backup generator and later created the category of automatic home standby generator. The company is committed to sustainable, cleaner energy products poised to revolutionize the 21st century electrical grid. Together, we take pride in making a meaningful difference to the environment.
Why we love to do what we do:
We’re helping build the world of tomorrow with solutions that improve everyday life while making a positive impact on the planet. Our products and services work in harmony to provide comfort, efficiency, and peace of mind for millions of homes and businesses. While we’re proud of what we’ve done so far, there’s still a lot we can do—and you can be part of it.
Join our extraordinary team.
We're a rapidly growing global tech company headquartered in Canada, in the heart of downtown Toronto, with a satellite office in Leeds, UK (and remote ecopeeps in the US). We get to work with some of North America and UK's leading professionals. Our colleagues are proud to bring their authentic selves to work, confident that what we do is grounded in a greater purpose. We’re always looking for curious, talented, and passionate people to join our team.
Who'll You be Joining:
We are looking for a Manager, ML Engineering, to manage, empower and lead a team of data scientists and machine learning engineers to build solutions that connect ML intelligence with devices to create the next generation of solutions for smart homes. If you are passionate about data, we offer a compelling data environment with a large variety of data, from traditional enterprise data to true Big Data generated from our devices, and from a large variety of sources both internal and external. You will drive results collaboratively across ecobee and create a culture of inclusivity and guidance; setting a clear vision and strategy for your team, as well as providing and receiving regular feedback from your individual team members. Your ability to balance technical nuances across domains of data, math/statistics, machine learning and software will allow you to ultimately connect them to ecobee’s business goals and values and leverage them to build meaningful products for our customers.
How You’ll Make an Impact:
As a Manager, ML Engineering at ecobee, you will
- Foster a positive, supportive and inclusive work environment
- Hire and develop a team of data scientists, MLEs and engineers - providing coaching, mentoring, motivation, and technical guidance
- Manage the full ML development life cycle and tooling – from problem framing, data wrangling, and model development, to deployment, monitoring, and maintenance
- Deliver high-quality, scalable solutions on time and on-budget
- Lead execution of project plans, delivery commitments and risk mitigation
- Build strong partnerships with cross-functional teams and contribute to the overall direction of the company
- Help evaluate the feasibility of initiatives through quick prototyping with respect to performance, quality, time and cost
- Collaborate with cross functional teams of product manager, software and data engineers to deliver unique customer experiences
What You’ll Bring to the Table:
- 5+ years of relevant data science, machine learning and engineering experience
- 2+ years of people management experience
- Expertise in data science methodologies, machine learning frameworks and engineering best practices
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Experience communicating with technical and non-technical stakeholders across multiple business units
- Experience with agile and other program management methodologies
- You proactively identify upcoming risks, issues and bottlenecks within your team and across departmental boundaries
- You thrive in a fast-paced, ambiguous, and high-stakes environment
- You are a smart, curious, and analytical person with a bias for action
- Just so you know: The hired candidate will be required to complete a background check
We've built the above list as a guideline for some of the skills and interests of our development team - but we strive to build our team with members from diverse backgrounds and skill sets, so if any combination of these applies to you we'd love to chat!
What happens after you apply:
Application review. It will happen. By an actual person in Talent Acquisition. We get upwards of 100+ applications for some roles, it can take a few days, but every applicant can expect a note regarding their application status.
- A 30-minute phone call with a member in Talent Acquisition
- A first round virtual interview with the hiring manager – expect technical, behavioural and situational questions
- The second round will be a 60-minute session to meet with leaders from the Data Science and ML teams focusing on team management and technical assessment.
- The final interview will be a 90-minute case study session with the Leadership team.
With ecobee, you’ll have the opportunity to:
- Be part of something big: Get to work in a fresh, dynamic, and ever-growing industry.
- Make an environmental difference: Make a sustainable impact while on your daily job, and after it through programs like ecobee acts.
- Expand your career: Learn with our in-house learning enablement team, and enjoy our generous professional learning budget.
- Put people first: Benefit from competitive salaries, health benefits, and a progressive Parental Top-Up Program (75% top-up or five bonus days off).
- Play a part on an exceptional culture: Enjoy a fun and casual workplace with an open concept office, located at Corus Quay. ecobee Leeds is based at our riverside office on the Calls.
- Celebrate diversity: Be part of a truly welcoming workplace. We offer a mentorship program and bias training.
Are you interested? Let's make it work.
Our people are empowered to take ownership of their schedules with workflows that allow for flexible hours. Based on your job, you have an option of office, hybrid or fully remote work. It is our top priority to keep employees safe. As we continue to take measures to keep employees safe in our offices, we have adopted a mandatory vaccine policy to be present in the physical Toronto office or other ecobee sponsored events in Ontario as of November 1, 2021. As such, to be in our office, it is required to acknowledge a formal attestation and submit accompanying proof of vaccination status. For the foreseeable future, we will be conducting our interviews and onboarding sessions through video. New team members will also be starting remotely, with all necessary equipment provided and shipped to them.
We’re committed to inclusion and accommodation.
ecobee believes that openness and diversity make us better. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds to apply regardless of race, gender, age, religion, identity, or any other aspect which makes them unique. Accommodations can be made upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Our recruitment team is happy to answer any questions candidates may have about virtual interviewing, onboarding, and future work locations.
We’re up to incredible things. Come and be part of them.
Discover our products and services and learn more about who we are.
Ready to join ecobee? View current openings.
Please note, ecobee does not accept unsolicited resumes.
Something looks off?