Senior Scientist- Electrochemist
Who we are:
Electra is electrifying ironmaking to decarbonize steelmaking and eliminate 3.7 gigatons or 10% of global CO2 emissions. Leveraging proven industrial-scale electrochemical and hydrometallurgical processes, and backed by leading sustainability-focused venture capitalists, our team is developing lower cost, scalable solutions utilizing intermittent renewable energy to forge a cleaner, greener future for the trillion-dollar steel industry.
With a uniquely collaborative culture, endless passion for developing disruptive technologies, and the opportunity to revolutionize carbon-intensive manufacturing industries, careers at Electra offer challenge, reward, and the chance to bring to market solutions that dramatically improve the health of the planet.
What you will do:
As a Senior Scientist on the Development Engineering team, you will be leading and designing technical development of Electra’s novel electrochemical cells. In this role you will:
- Lead project teams and design and conduct lab-scale experiments to increase our fundamental understanding of electrochemical cell components and process parameters.
- Guide the team on technical methods or approach.
- Identify new approaches to improving cell performance.
- Collaborate with other teams on technical development to inform scale-up and integration with other processes.
- Use advanced metrology equipment to characterize materials and cell components.
- Critically analyze, interpret, and communicate research findings to the broader team.
- Train and mentor junior team members as well as provide technical insights to other teams or leaders as needed.
What we need you to bring to the team:
- A PhD in chemical engineering, chemistry, materials science, or related field AND 1 year of experience; or Master’s degree in a related field AND 4 years of experience; or a Bachelor’s degree in a related field AND 6 years of experience.
- Strong theoretical knowledge of electrochemistry fundamentals.
- Strong practical knowledge of electrochemical cell design and component interactions.
- Familiarity with electrochemical measurement techniques (potentiometry, cyclic voltammetry, impedance spectroscopy, etc.) and use of associated instrumentation.
- The ability to plan, execute, delegate, and prioritize research and development projects.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
What we want you to bring to the team:
- Experience working with at least one of the following: flow battery, metal battery, fuel cell, or electrolyzer, or electrodeposition technologies.
- Desire to be in a dynamic startup environment.
- A critical thinking mindset and focus on finding answers.
- A desire to challenge yourself and take on increasing responsibilities as the company grows.
What’s in it for you:
- Career growth in the field of industrial electrochemistry.
- Opportunity to develop novel electrochemical processes and support a wide variety of projects.
- Opportunity to work with a first-class science & engineering team.
- The ability to share your perspectives and opinions in a hyper-collaborate environment.
- The anticipated starting pay range for this position is $100,000 - $150,000 annually and may be more or less depending upon skills, experience, and education.
Benefits For You:
- 100% paid premiums across all medical, dental, vision, telemedicine, short-term disability, long-term disability, and basic life insurance plans
- Unlimited PTO
- $1,800 in annual employer HSA contributions (health savings account)
Benefits For Your Family:
- 100% paid premiums across all medical, dental, vision, and telemedicine plans
- $3,600 in annual employer HSA contributions (health savings account)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave and flexible return-to-work options
Benefits For Your Future:
- 401k with up to 5% matching contributions which vest 100% on day one
- Eligibility for incentive stock options