Hydrometallurgy Intern (Summer 2024)
Who we are:
Electra is electrifying ironmaking to decarbonize steelmaking and eliminate 3.7 gigatons or 10% of global CO2 emissions. Leveraging proven industrial-scale electrochemical and hydrometallurgical processes, and backed by leading sustainability-focused venture capitalists, our team is developing lower cost, scalable solutions utilizing intermittent renewable energy to forge a cleaner, greener future for the trillion-dollar steel industry.
With a uniquely collaborative culture, endless passion for developing disruptive technologies, and the opportunity to revolutionize carbon-intensive manufacturing industries, careers at Electra offer challenge, reward, and the chance to bring to market solutions that dramatically improve the health of the planet.
Internship Program Summary:
The 2024 Summer Internship Program is open to current undergraduate and graduate students pursuing majors in related fields.
The goal of the Program is to provide students with hands-on, industry experience while offering the opportunity to make valuable contributions at Team Electra.
In this you will:
- Perform bench-scale experiments to evaluate materials and process parameters for leaching, precipitation, solvent extraction or other chemical/hydrometallurgical processes
- Perform standardized chemical and material analyses
- Work closely with senior R&D team members on experimental design and data analysis
- Communicate research findings in an end-of-term presentation to the technical team
- Must be actively enrolled in an accredited college or university and pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in metallurgy, chemistry, or chemical/metallurgical engineering
- Knowledge of basic wet chemistry and laboratory safety
- Familiarity with aqueous chemistry concepts and fundamentals
- Ability to perform stoichiometry calculations and mass balances
- Knowledge of hydrometallurgical process steps such as leaching, precipitation, solvent extraction, or related
What’s in it for you:
- Hands-on experience in an industry environment
- Opportunity to work on novel technologies
- Opportunity to collaborate with other teams
- The pay rate for this position is $28.00 per hour for undergraduate students and $31.00 per hour for graduate students.