Deputy General Counsel
Electric Hydrogen Co.
Electric Hydrogen’s mission is to make molecules to decarbonize our world! Our outstanding people are our most important asset and will allow us to deliver hydrogen from renewable electrolysis for heavy industry, at prices below fossil fuels.
We are looking for a Deputy General Counsel who enjoys developing relationships and building trust across multiple business teams within an organization to join our team. You are a legal adviser with well-honed negotiation skills and have experience working within the renewable energy industry and supporting chemical or industrial sales. You will be providing legal support for negotiation of a large volume of procurement/supply chain contracts, drafting and negotiating equipment supply agreements, and engaging with procurement and sales clients handling transactions from initial bidding through execution and fulfillment of agreements. You will also support a variety of other legal matters and projects, including corporate record-keeping, intellectual property, trade, data privacy, power procurement, risk management, and regulatory compliance.
You will be based in San Carlos, CA or remotely, and will report to the Chief Legal Officer. Travel is required for this role.
Role and Responsibilities
- Be a trusted partner across the organization by providing strategic counseling and practical guidance in support of our business objectives, with judgment on balancing business opportunities against multiple risk scenarios
- Partner with a large supply chain/procurement team responsible for negotiating vendor contracts to procure manufacturing materials, balance of plant equipment, and indirect goods and services
- Supervise and guide legal professionals engaged with the procurement team
- Partner with
- (i) the sales team on negotiation of capacity reservation agreements, framework agreements, equipment supply agreements, field assembly agreements, and long-term service agreements
- (ii) the deployment team on negotiation of EPC agreements, fulfillment documentation, and contract compliance
- Guide initiatives to increase operational efficiency and streamline the deal process
- Support ongoing legal ops initiatives, including maintenance of updated form files, development of playbooks, guides and training materials, and implementation of CLM solution for tracking and storing critical documents
- Collaborate with other business teams, including HR, finance, operations, and business development, to ensure legal compliance and risk management in all areas of the business
- Help develop, implement, and enhance corporate policies and processes for regulatory compliance
- Support intellectual property processes and maintain trade compliance standards in forms
- Licensed attorney and active status in at least one U.S. state bar
- Minimum of 12 years of experience with a global law firm or in-house legal team, with relevant legal experience leading a variety of commercial transactions
- Strong drafting and negotiation skills
- Familiarity with deal structures for buying and selling heavy equipment
- Ease and comfort working with on a high-volume of agreements, rapid cycles, multiple assignments, concurrent deadlines, and changing priorities
- A client-first mentality that fosters a strong sense of trust with internal clients
- Function as a generalist to support the Legal Department's mission and a willingness to jump in and assist the team, as needed
Compensation and Benefits | E1
Actual base salary offered to the hired applicant will be determined based on their work location, level, qualifications, job-related skills, as well as relevant education or training and experience.
Base salary is just one part of Electric Hydrogen’s total rewards package. We feel strongly that our team should not have to worry about having quality healthcare. In addition to the base salary offered, the hired applicant may receive:
- an equity grant
- time off programs
- a $75/month cell phone allowance
- a 4% employer 401(k) match
- 100% fully paid premiums for employees and their families: medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term & long-term disability coverage
- a discretionary bonus
Electric Hydrogen’s benefits programs are subject to eligibility requirements.
COVID-19 vaccination required for all employees and contingent workers, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved. All prospective hires will be expected to provide proof of vaccination to attend an onsite interview or at their first day of employment.
About Electric Hydrogen
Electric Hydrogen is a team of the world's experts in scaling technologies for the post-carbon world, with a proven record in transforming the grid and transportation sectors. Backed by some of the world's top venture capital firms, we design and manufacture electrolytic hydrogen systems matched to renewable power sources to create green hydrogen by splitting water. We are building a cost-effective and transformative path between renewable energy and multiple large industrial sectors. Abundant and low-cost renewable energy sources will power the world, and Electric Hydrogen technology will use this energy to decarbonize industry through sustainable materials. We were founded in 2020 and are based in California and Massachusetts.
Electric Hydrogen is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace for all to belong. We are aware that people from historically underrepresented groups are less likely to apply if they don't meet 100% of the job requirements. We are actively working on efforts to change this social norm. If you are excited about this role, we encourage you to apply!