Manager, Quality Assurance Engineering
EnergyHub empowers utilities and their customers to create a clean, distributed energy future. Our customers are real utilities managing the real electrical grid supporting the normal lives of millions of real people. Our mission is to keep the grid running reliably while enabling more renewable energy and reducing reliance on fossil fuel.
We're looking for a manager to lead our QA team, spearhead our quality and automation efforts, and help redefine the place of QA in our engineering organization. This role will require proficiency in defining and executing appropriate quality strategies, creating useful metrics to track progress, and working with external partner organizations.
EnergyHub connects to millions of devices, from dozens of manufacturers, in millions of homes, businesses and vehicles all over North America, to make minute adjustments to how they consume electricity, which in the aggregate keep the lights on while we decarbonize. It’s a big job and we must not fail. You will work with all organizations across the company to achieve the quality required by our industry, increase the product delivery cadence, and maintain the high standards for existing products.
The ideal candidate has run teams that build software, interact with hardware, have done scale testing and manual device testing. Previous Quality Assurance management experience across multiple projects, combining automated and manual testing when necessary, and prior exposure to Agile methodologies will also help you get up to speed quickly.
Core Skills and Responsibilities
- You care about your team and provide coaching, feedback, and mentoring, while identifying stretch goal assignments, enabling skill development, and working with team members on career growth opportunities
- You can develop and implement QA best practices and processes, supporting our product/engineering organization as we implement changes to shift left
- You are comfortable leading a team of 8-10 people, with a mix of QA Analysts and SDETs
- You can expect to spend 50% of your time on people management and 50% on project management and technical work
- You understand the importance for the QA Team to find its rightful place in an engineering organization, you are able to advocate, convince, and influence without authority as we shift our testing left
- You have the ability to work with project stakeholders to help coordinate test planning and execution
- You are extremely well-versed in quality engineering and the entire software development lifecycle
- You can rigorously manage multiple projects simultaneously while understanding that business needs change and projects sometimes get reprioritized
- You will strategize ways to leverage automation and processes to increase the quality of our testing while reducing human effort
- You will manage our physical devices lab in our Vermont office and handle testing requests from various stakeholders. (Among its test devices, the lab even includes its own Tesla)
- You can effectively communicate project status both in writing and verbally
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Prior people management experience
- Knowledge of the utility industry
- Knowledge of build pipelines, CI/CD with quality and automation integration
- Familiarity with Robot Framework, Java and/or Python or similar
- Experience running a device lab
Why work for EnergyHub?
- Collaborate with outstanding people: Our employees work hard, do great work, and enjoy collaborating and learning from each other.
- Make an immediate impact: New employees can expect to be given real responsibility for bringing new technologies to the marketplace. You are empowered to perform as soon as you join the team!
- Gain well rounded experience: EnergyHub offers a diverse and dynamic environment where you will get the chance to work directly with executives and develop expertise across multiple areas of the business.
- Work with the latest technologies: You’ll gain exposure to a broad spectrum of IoT, SaaS and machine learning challenges, including distributed fault-tolerance, device control optimization, and process modeling to support scalable interaction with disparate downstream APIs.
- Be part of something important: Help create the future of how energy is produced and consumed. Make a positive impact on our climate.
- Focus on fun: EnergyHub places high value on our team culture. Happy hours and holiday parties are important to us, but what’s also important is how our employees feel every single day.
EnergyHub is a growing enterprise software company that works with the most forward-thinking companies in smart energy. Our platform lets consumers turn their smart thermostats, electric cars, water heaters, and other products into virtual power plants that keep the grid stable and enable higher penetration of solar and wind power. We work on technology that already provides energy and cost savings to millions of people through partnerships with the leading companies in the Internet of Things.
EnergyHub offers a generous benefits package including 100% paid medical for employees and a 401(k) with employer match. We offer a casual environment, the flexibility to set your own schedule, a fully stocked fridge and pantry, free Citi Bike membership, secure bike rack, gym subsidy, paid parental leave, and an education assistance program.
EnergyHub is an Equal Opportunity Employer
In connection with your application, we collect information that identifies, reasonably relates to or describes you (“Personal Information”). The categories of Personal Information that we may collect include your name, government-issued identification number(s), email address, mailing address, other contact information, emergency contact information, employment history, educational history, and demographic information. We collect and use those categories of Personal Information about you for human resources and other business management purposes, including identifying and evaluating you as a candidate for potential or future employment or future positions, recordkeeping in relation to recruiting and hiring, conducting analytics, and ensuring compliance with applicable legal requirements and Company policies.