Senior Analyst, Contract Management and Settlements
About our Company
Equilibrium Energy is a well-funded, Series A clean energy startup backed by some of the most prominent institutional investors in climate. We are building a digital native power company operating at the intersection of grid variability, market volatility, economic optimization, commercial structuring, and risk management, across the end-to-end power value chain. Our mission is to accelerate our collective path to climate, energy, and societal equilibriums. Our goal is to become one of the next-generation, digital-native, end-to-end global clean power companies that reshapes the energy industry.
New colleagues will share our vision that a next-generation energy company must be built from the ground up on deep industry expertise combined with an unwavering commitment to modern digital approaches. We design our commercial strategies, operational approaches, and product suites so as to best leverage data-driven insights, automated workflows, ML-infused pipelines, and fully automated decision engines. These capabilities are enabled by our progressively modern software stack and engineering best practices, which in turn provide the scalable platform we need to put a serious dent in carbon emissions. We’re looking for collaborative, talented, passionate and resourceful folks to join our team and help us lay the foundation for our important mission and ambitious plan.
What we are looking for
We are looking for a Senior Analyst, Contract Management and Settlements to support and help grow our contract management and settlements functions in our energy trading and power asset management businesses. This position will be responsible for contract management and settlements activities including: performing daily, weekly and monthly settlement of Equilibrium’s physical and financial trading activities with Independent System Operators (ISOs); settling and ensuring all parties’ compliance with obligations under energy trading and power asset contracts; and providing analysis of Equilibrium’s financial trading and physical asset operations. The Senior Analyst will interact with key external stakeholders, including ISOs, owners of renewable energy and storage facilities, and investors. The Senior Analyst will work closely with Equilibrium’s trading, commercial, risk, finance, engineering, science and product organizations.
The Senior Analyst role requires a foundational knowledge of power markets, energy assets, and energy contracts, with specific knowledge of US ISO market rules preferred. The successful candidate should be an individual who enjoys digging into the details required to accurately manage contracts and settle positions, but can also translate the data into strategic insights and communicate these insights across various functional groups. They will bring technical skill and knowledge, and will be adept at building collaborative working relationships with professionals across the company to help build Equilibrium’s contract management and settlements function as it scales.
What you will do
- Review and reconcile ISO settlements on a daily, weekly and monthly basis for physical and financial trading activities
- Manage executed structured transactions including compliance with all contractual obligations, and calculation and validation of contractual performance metrics and invoice amounts
- Stay current on ISO rules and proposed changes that could impact how settlements are calculated and the value of Equilibrium’s portfolio
- Work closely with the product team to build solutions that support efficient and accurate settlements processes and provide insight into portfolio performance
- Work closely with the energy science and engineering teams to ensure that contract terms and settlements rules are accurately modeled, measured and reported
- Work cross functionally to identify and resolve contract management and settlement issues
- Support regulatory compliance and financial reporting activities with timely, accurate and well-documented information
The minimum qualifications you’ll need
- BA/BS degree
- 3-5 years of experience in asset management, back office, commercial, trading or market-facing roles in the energy industry
- Knowledge of physical and financial North American power markets and ISO market rules
- Familiarity with structure and terms and conditions of power purchase agreements and/or energy storage agreements
- The ability to manage and prioritize multiple simultaneous projects in a fast-paced start-up environment
- Collaborative and able to work independently with limited direction
Nice to have additional skills
- BA/BS degree or advanced degree in quantitative discipline like Finance, Business, Economics, Engineering, Science, Computer Science, or equivalent
- Experience at a large US power trading company, power asset management company, or buyer of utility-scale energy and/or storage
- Experience with ISO settlements and contract management and settlements of renewable energy and energy storage transactions
- Demonstrated success working with cross-functional teams to implement scalable energy contract management and settlements solutions
- Excellent communication skills, both in writing and in presentation format
Not sure this is the right role for you?
We are a high growth company with accelerating hiring needs so there’s a great chance we’ll be able to create a custom role for you, now or in the future. All roles, titles and compensation packages are tailored to the applicant, so apply anyways and tell us in your cover letter about your dream role.
What we offer
Equilibrium is composed of deeply knowledgeable industry experts across all our functions, with decades of experience in energy-specific commercial structuring, power systems engineering, machine learning, computational research, operations research, distributed and compute-intensive infrastructure, and modern software & ML engineering. Our experience in the space means we’ve previously built versions of nearly every technical component of our platform. We are now designing them better, and combining them in a holistic and novel way, to achieve global scale and climate impact. We pride ourselves on our deeply empathetic & collaborative culture, honest and direct but respectful communication, and our balanced, flexible, and remote-first work environment.
Employee benefits include:
- Competitive base salary and a comprehensive medical, dental, vision, and 401k package
- Opportunity to own a significant piece of the company via a meaningful equity grant
- Unlimited vacation and flexible work schedule
- Ability to work remotely from anywhere in the United States & Europe, or join one of our regional hubs in Boston, SF Bay Area, or London
- Accelerated professional growth and development opportunities through direct collaboration and mentorship from leading industry expert colleagues across energy and tech
Equilibrium Energy is a diverse and inclusive, equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.