Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
Berkeley, CA, USA
Posted on Sunday, April 16, 2023
Are you ready to rise to the challenge of climate change with the team that will deliver? Form Energy is a U.S. technology and manufacturing company that is developing and commercializing pioneering energy storage technologies to enable the electric grid to run on 100% renewable energy, every day of the year.
Supported by leading investors such as Breakthrough Energy Ventures, ArcelorMittal, TPG Rise, MIT’s The Engine, and others, we share a common belief that low-cost, multi-day energy storage is the key to enable tomorrow’s zero carbon electric grid. Driven by our core values of humanity, excellence, and creativity, we are deeply motivated and inspired to create a better world. We need talented, hardworking individuals who share our goal of tackling the challenge of climate change. Do you want to work with us today to build a better tomorrow?
The Systems Engineering team within the Technology group at Form is multidisciplinary and focused on delivering the product enclosure and auxiliary systems design for Form Energy's energy storage system. We are seeking a hands-on Senior Mechanical Design Engineer to contribute to the product development of our utility-scale multi-day energy storage system. Ideally, someone with a broad, interdisciplinary background in fluid system design, electrical interfaces, and mechanical engineering.
In this role, you will participate in first-of-a-kind build activities, vendor engagement, and design for manufacturing. Also, contribute to performance and durability test data interpretation. You can expect to work on a wide variety of prototyping efforts across the company, driving us through a series of internal system prototypes and working closely with a cross-functional team of chemical, electrical, and mechanical engineers to design, prototype, and test the storage systems. This position offers an exciting opportunity to be part of scaling our multi-day energy storage system at Form and contributing to a sustainable future.
What You'll Do:
- Design, prototype, and test systems designs to meet critical performance requirements, such as air delivery, liquid delivery, effluent gas streams
- Participate in component integration events, fabricating and testing first-of-a-kind prototypes to validate system design choices
- Lead critical vendor engagements and collaborate with manufacturing engineers to transition system designs from prototype to high volume production
- Collaborate with the Battery Products team to co-develop fluid and gas handling systems
- Champion for safety, especially in the development of new laboratory processes
- Participate in first fielded units for systems validation
What You'll Bring:
- Bachelor's or masters degree in mechanical engineering, or related fields
- 5-7 years of experience in renewable energy, liquid or gas handling or other relevant industry
- Prior experience in Energy Storage, Battery Systems, Renewable Energy, Utility, and other related industry experience a plus
- Experience with optimizing mechanical design, balance-of-plant systems, and interdisciplinary interfaces of fluid systems
- Direct experience in product development within an early stage environment
- Experience optimizing designs for manufacturing and cost-down
- Experience with first-principles modeling and design
The salary range for this role is $142,970 - $176,255. The range listed is what we reasonably expect to pay for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range and may be modified in the future. Actual compensation packages are based on several factors that are unique to each candidate, including but not limited to skill set, depth of experience, certifications, and specific work location. This may be different in other locations due to differences in the cost of labor.
Besides joining a community of people working to make the world better, Form Energy commits to you equitable compensation, stock options, and offers a generous benefits package to make sure you have the support you need to thrive.
We cover 100% of employee premiums and 80% of dependent premiums for medical, dental, and vision insurance for full time employees. We offer a flexible Paid Time Off program and every employee, regardless of gender identity or expression, is eligible for 12 weeks of paid parental bonding leave. A full listing of our benefits is available on our careers page.
At Form Energy, we are working toward a 100% renewable energy future for everyone in the world. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all our employees and are seeking to build a team that reflects the diversity of the people we hope to serve with our revolutionary products. Form Energy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
See more open positions at Form Energy
Something looks off?