Senior Software Development Engineer
Full Harvest is solving the #1 contributor to climate change - food waste - with the leading business-to-business online produce marketplace specializing in imperfect and surplus produce. The company is not only solving on-farm food loss, the largest portion of the food waste problem, but is also bringing the $1T produce industry online end-to-end for the first time ever. A win-win-win for farmers, food companies, and the planet.
Full Harvest recently closed a $28M Series B round and expanded our leadership team. The company is backed by leading technology, impact, and agriculture investors such as Spark Capital, Cultivian Sandbox, Telus Ventures, and RaboBank. Full Harvest is recognized as a World Economic Forum Tech Pioneer, the top 2020 Fast Company World Changing Idea, a Forbes Most Innovative Agtech Startup, and was recently on the cover of Newsweek magazine.
Want to join a super friendly, hardworking, and passionate team that is determined to solve food waste? Check out our job opening below:
Senior Software Development Engineer Role:
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join a mature, professional and cohesive team of software developers to maintain and expand the capabilities of our produce marketplace and its underlying operations technology. This role will participate in the development of our digital systems in collaboration with the Digital Product Team and key business stakeholders. The individual will contribute to technology projects that improve user experiences on the marketplace across web, mobile, operations, marketing, sales, supply, and finance. You’ll optimize the buyer and seller experience for farms as well as for many types of produce buyers demonstrating the valuable capabilities of the platform. The goal is to create fast and intuitive features that inspire trust and align with customer's expectations, behavior, needs and encourage repeat engagement.
You will help digitize for the first time ever, one of the largest and most important industries in the world - the food supply chain - that, to this day, remains primarily offline. Your performance is measured both by the impact on the company’s overall objectives, your ability to clearly understand and create solutions for our customer needs, as well as to mentor a cohesive, productive, quality-driven and high-performing team. You will report directly to a Director of Engineering and work closely with the IT Run team, Digital Product Team as well as with the Sales, Supply and Operations team.
Our ideal candidate has:
- A passion for the Full Harvest vision and a desire to leave a positive impact on the planet
- 5 years of proven experience in overseeing the design, development, and implementation of software solutions, including requirements analysis, system design, coding, testing, and deployment.
- B2B, SaaS or marketplace experience is ideal
- Advanced Technical Expertise: Deep understanding of software development principles, including design patterns, code structure, programming languages, and algorithms. Familiarity with a variety of programming languages and frameworks (Ruby on Rails, React).
- Strong technical leadership rooted in experience and demonstrated accomplishments
- Strong collaboration and communication skills
- Shows affinity with prompt coding techniques and experienced using the latest AI tools designed to enhance a programmer output and experience (ChatGPT, CoPilot, Duo)
- Competently able to use data, analysis, and/or research to drive learning and improvement across a team or sizeable initiatives remaining pragmatic while connecting the products being developed and the business needs from a software perspective
- Strong Problem-Solving Skills: Ability to tackle complex technical problems and provide innovative solutions.
- Demonstrated experience being the senior individual within development teams, mentoring junior engineers, and contributing to a collaborative, inclusive, and high-performing team environment.
- Able to achieve team goals buy building buy-in and cooperation for complex proposals and cross functional projects
- Quality Assurance and Testing: Knowledge of software QA methodologies, tools, and processes. Experience in writing clear, concise, and comprehensive test plans in a test-driven-development context.
- Demonstrated ability to change lanes fast as you manage multiple ongoing tasks simultaneously, meet deadlines, and adjust priorities in a fast-paced, business-first changing environment.
- An undeniable business bias and a results-oriented mindset, proficient at prioritizing need sets and demonstrating the ability to put the needs of others first, creating needs-based solutions that are win/win
- Continuous Learning and Adaptation: Willingness to continuously learn, adapt to new technologies and frameworks, and keep abreast of industry trends and advancements.
- Food, agriculture industry, or supply chain / logistics experience, a huge plus but not required
- Experience with Agile Methodologies: Familiarity with Agile development methodologies like Scrum or Kanban.
- Be a senior leader in software development and systems integration of our disruptive agriculture B2B marketplace
- Reach mastery in the way all existing products and solutions currently facing our sellers and our buyers as well as all internal products supporting our operations are currently implemented.
- Act as the expert for responding to both internal and external needs, feedback and addressing problems through to solution
- Collaborate with our executive and leadership team to solidify our product execution
- Gain hands-on experience with Cloud Technologies: Experience working with cloud platforms like Heroku, AWS, Snowflake and Google Cloud Platform.
- Ensure that our work remains security conscious: Awareness of cybersecurity best practices and experience in implementing secure coding techniques.
- Ensure that the digital products and their underlying requirements are fully and correctly defined and documented within a thorough and valuable internal documentation solution.
- Implement a relevant continuous improvement journey for all team members so they always improve their skill set and their value, remain committed to the team, mobilized on the projects.
How We Operate:
As a team, we are focused on our mission of empowering sustainability solving food waste and we strive to do this by executing in the following ways:
- We truly believe in our mission and will do whatever it takes to achieve it
- We are results focused and consistently deliver strong results
- We go to great lengths to understand and delight our customers
- Our team can rely on us as well as our integrity
- We admit mistakes openly and take full accountability
- We look for solutions by analyzing data and all the facts
What We Offer:
- Opportunity to work on a great mission- solving food waste
- A fun, challenging environment that will give you the chance to significantly grow and learn
- Equity in a high-growth startup
- The most up-to-date technology, including company-issued Macs, the latest software and other tools needed to excel at your job
- Medical, Dental and Vision coverage
- 401k plan
Compensation range for this position: $150k-$170k depending on experience.
Looking for more info. about us? We recently closed our Series B led by Tier 1 impact investment fund Telus Ventures. Learn more in this TechCrunch article.
Full Harvest is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.