Staff SCADA Networking Engineer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, June 6, 2023
This is a San Francisco based position that is currently remote and will have a hybrid schedule once we return to office. We are open to candidates willing to relocate to the San Francisco Bay Area.
Geli (Growing Energy Labs, Inc.) provides software and business solutions to design, connect, and operate energy storage systems ranging in size from residential to utility-scale, as well as grid-tied, microgrid, and off-grid systems. Geli’s suite of products creates an ecosystem where project developers, OEMs, financiers, and project operators can deploy advanced energy projects using a seamless hardware-agnostic software platform.
Geli is a subsidiary of Hanwha Q CELLS, one of the world’s largest photovoltaic manufacturers most recognized for its high-performance, high-quality solar cells and modules.
Geli is committed to helping make the planet a cleaner, better place to live, both with our software products and through our everyday actions.
Imagine a world where there is less reliance on non-renewable power, where you source your electricity from your neighbors rather than from power stations hundreds of miles away and software makes the best possible use of the solar, wind, and battery storage available. This is our vision.
We are looking for enthusiastic colleagues that are not only fluent in technology, but also share our vision of a world running on 100% renewable energy.
Geli (Growing Energy Labs, Inc) is looking for a networking expert with a deep understanding of networking principles and equipment knowledge to lead network and security design of LAN and WAN deployments. The networking engineer will work closely with the SCADA engineering &project commissioning team from product concept to commissioning stage. The ideal candidate will be a motivated self-starter with demonstrated success in a consulting/advisory role for cross-functional teams.
- Conduct user research, interviews, and design thinking workshops to understand customer needs, mental models, and working contexts.
- Interface with end customers, utilities, ISO’s to support Point to Point (P2P) VPN tunnels that are NERC CIP compliant
- Work closely with Q Cells PPC/SCADA Team to understand system requirements and develop a solution that is maintainable and meets project requirements.
- Work with internal design team to develop network topology and implementation plans.
- Setup, test, templatize and commission network switch and firewall configurations
- Develop documentation including Firewall rules, IP addressing, Vlans, access control lists, product life cycles, commissioning checklists and closeout documents.
- Verify, reproduce, and document network communications outages within P2P VPN tunnels and LAN networks.
- Develop and maintain relationships with network equipment companies to receive critical level priority support.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Network Engineering or other relevant networking field
- 6+ years of experience in a role with similar responsibilities
- Experience working with Palo-Alto, Cisco or equivalent equipment.
- Knowledge of industrial protocols such as: Modbus, OPC UA, DNP 3.0, IEC 61850 etc.
- Knowledge of ethernet cabling, single-mode and multi-mode fiber optic cabling and limitations of each communication media
- Experience with Vlans (802.1Q), Trunks (VTP) and rapid spanning tree protocol (STP) technologies
- Extensive knowledge of network equipment CLI interfaces, understanding of network OSI model
- Develop best practices for mitigating risks and disaster recovery.
- Proven ability to work in a team-oriented environment, providing support to team members, and establishing and maintaining effective work relationships with coworkers across functional areas.
- Interest in Cleantech, Internet of Things (IoT), Smart Grid, renewable energy, and energy storage
NICE TO HAVE
- Experience with utility SCADA integrations for utility renewable energy and battery energy storage sites
BENEFITS OF WORKING AT GELI
Competitive salary commensurate with experience
Competitive benefits offerings
Conveniently accessible location in downtown San Francisco
Flexible work-from-home-office opportunities, as determined by the position and job duties
Cigna and Kaiser options - available by region
Cigna Dental (including orthodontic coverage) and vision plans, both have options with a $0 paycheck contribution
Healthcare and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
Company Paid (Health Savings Account) HSA Contribution when enrolled in the High Deductible Cigna medical plan
Company-paid Basic Life, AD&D, short-term, and long-term disability insurance
Voluntary benefits include: critical illness, hospital indemnity, accident insurance
401(k) with a 4% employer match
3 weeks of paid Parental Leave
Sick time- 72 hours frontloaded per calendar year
Vacation time (Flex time), and 13 Paid Holidays
Health Advocate wellness and concierge services
Wellness programs with our benefits providers
Bereavement leave- 5 paid days
Make a difference: join a group of people who are passionate about renewable energy
Have an impact: the company is still small enough that everyone’s contribution has a significant impact on the success of the company
Many opportunities to lead teams, and projects, and contribute to development
Casual professional working environment: there’s no need to dress up, just present your best self
Work collaboratively in a diverse environment- we commit to reaching better decisions by respecting opinions and working through disagreements
We value the insights that a diverse team can bring. We encourage applications from members of groups that have been traditionally underrepresented in tech.
Growing Energy Labs, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics.