Interconnection Planning Engineer - Offshore Wind
United States · Remote
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2023
Hanwha Q CELLS USA Corp (“HQC US”) develops, invests, and delivers solar photovoltaic (PV) and battery energy storage systems (BESS) projects through Engineering, Procurement, Construction (EPC) services in North America.
The company brings a decade of global leadership in solar PV to deliver utility-scale power generation plants customized for local and regional energy markets. HQC US offers the full spectrum of PV solutions – from the core technology of cells and modules to large-scale project development and investment. With proven capabilities across the solar and battery storage value chain, HQC US minimizes uncertainty and risk and helps customers achieve a higher return on their investment in renewable energy.
The Interconnection Planning Engineer (Sr. IPE)will perform interconnection planning analysis for utility scale PV, offshorewind plants and energy storage projects with a special focus on transmission planning and utility grid capacity assessment. Sr. IPE will be responsible for performing electrical analysis on the utility high voltage transmission system to identify capacity for potential projects and handling necessary transmission & interconnection processes of utilities and ISO’s. This position will provide due diligence engineering review, statement, and technical feasibility. The Sr. IPE will coordinate and manage internal and third-party studies, consulting and independent transmission planning resources during the pre-acquisition leading technical diligence, development activities, and engineering.
This position reports to the Transmission Planning Manager or another senior management personnel that the Senior Vice President/President of the Company may designate. This position may be expected to travel up to 20%.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Complete interconnection applications and supporting documentation for company projects in various RTOs (CAISO, PJM, NYISO, MISO, ERCOT, SPP) and vertically integrated markets (WECC, SERC, Southeast etc.). Liaison with different departments for technical data gatherings to prepare the application packages;
- Routinely perform power flow studies (using GE PSLF and Siemens PSS/E software) to assess electric interconnection viability of renewable projects and support the Development Team for due diligence studies and efforts before commencing interconnection applications. Identify optimal interconnection locations in target markets based on multiple cross-functional siting criteria;
- Train junior level IPEs to perform load flow simulations and analyze electric transmission grid capacity for renewable developments and interconnection;
- Routinely perform due diligence for M&A projects by reviewing interconnection documents from data room and brief the Development Team on key findings;
- Support the Engineering team routinely with technical task assignments for projects under engineering and design phase and attend project meetings (internal and external);
- Review and summarize Curtailment study results for management review and support the Project Finance department on routine assignments with external consultants;
- Evaluate transmission & interconnection tariffs, costs, timelines, queue, and processes for a variety of markets and provide strategy to the Development team;
- Handle interconnection Tariff related administrative responsibilities and necessary paperwork;
- Provide communication and build relationships with utilities/ISOs and track interconnection progress to ensure projects are complete in a timely and cost-effective manner;
- Track changes to interconnection tariffs and key transmission upgrades in target markets in North America;
- Provide technical support and coordination to the Engineering department and Project Directors throughout the engineering and design of projects;
- Create regular project interconnection status reports and monitor engineering milestones;
- Analyze renewable energy projects;
- Contribute innovative ideas to enhance interconnection and quality in practices; and
- Perform other duties and special projects, as assigned.
- A degree in Electrical engineering, Master’s, and/or MBA preferred.
- Advanced Degree (MSEE) in electrical engineering (EE) from university with an ABET-accredited electrical engineering program is strongly preferred.
- Specialization in power systems engineering required.
- (PE) Professional Engineering License with an EE background strongly preferred.
- Three (3) years of transmission and interconnection planning experience on renewable projects and at least two years of offshore wind projects.
- Development or transmission planning at a utility, ISO/RTO, or project developer.
- Ability to use proficiently GE PSLF, Siemens PSS/E and AutoCAD software.
- Demonstrated ability to work autonomously at a dynamic pace, find creative solutions, and communicate with both a technical and non-technical audience.
- Experience communicating / working with utilities, consulting firms, ISO/RTOs, and regulators
- Candidate must possess experience in successfully executing projects from inception thru development and into engineering while providing strong technical direction/guidance in power engineering background (especially having interconnection Tariff background).
- Some level of experience in performing due diligence for offshore wind and energy storage assets are preferred.
- High proficiency with power industry standard software widely used in transmission planning analysis and AutoCAD and other applicable software, in addition to MS Excel, MS Project, and the MS Office suite.
- Willingness to travel, up to 20% of the time.
The above-listed salary range is required by the California Pay Transparency Act and may differ depending on the location of those candidates hired nationwide. The salary range shared in the job description is for the listed position and only pertains to the candidate if they work in Irvine, CA. Actual compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to internal pay equity, skill set, education, licenses and certifications, geographic location, essential job duties and requirements, and the necessary experience relative to the job’s minimum qualifications. An additional discretionary bonus structure or incentives may be offered as part of the overall compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, dental, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.
· Stationary Position: frequently remains stationary up to 90% of the time and sitting up to 8 hours in a day
· Move/Traverse: infrequently bend, stand, stoop and/or walk
· Carry Weight: infrequently carry weight and/or lift objects (light to heavy) weighing up to 10 pounds
· Hearing and Speech: frequently communicates with the ability to hear and talk on a regular basis with employees, coworkers, and all personnel matters; must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations
· Sight: frequent use of sight to detect images on computer, office documents, and office objects near and far
· Climb: occasionally ascends/descends on stairway to get to office upper and lower floors
· Travel: review above travel requirement for this position
· Regular professional, office business setting
· Noise level ranges from low to moderate (if in office setting)
· Noise level ranges from moderate to high (if on construction worksite)
Hanwha Q Cells is proud to be an at-will Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination against race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, citizenship, disability, protected veteran status and any other classification protected by applicable federal, state or local law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this statement shall imply implicitly or explicitly a guarantee of employment outside our at-will employment opportunity.