GES Director of Tracker Technology
United States · Remote
Posted on Saturday, September 2, 2023
Hanwha Q CELLS USA Corp (“HQC US”) develops, invests, and delivers solar photovoltaic (PV) and battery energy storage systems (BESS) projects through Engineering, Procurement, Construction (EPC) services in North America.
The company brings a decade of global leadership in solar PV to deliver utility-scale power generation plants customized for local and regional energy markets. HQC US offers the full spectrum of PV solutions – from the core technology of cells and modules to large-scale project development and investment. With proven capabilities across the solar and battery storage value chain, HQC US minimizes uncertainty and risk and helps customers achieve a higher return on their investment in renewable energy.
We are hiring a Director of Tracker Technology to join our GES Strategy Team. The GES Strategy team is responsible for harmonizing and finding synergy within key strategic groups: Tracker, Module, Inverter, and BESS. The successful candidate will work with the Tracker Manufacturing Team, GES R&D Divisions, QCells Module Team, and EPC Department to develop new product generations, guide the tracker development to stay ahead of market trends, and produce cost savings in line with headquarter goals of LCOE. This position reports to the R&D Senior Director, or another management personnel that the President of the Company may designate. This position is located in Irvine, CA or remote and working hours are Monday through Friday, from 8:00am to 5:00pm or 9:00am to 6:00pm local time. This position is expected to travel up to 25%.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTION & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Regular attendance, in accordance with company's attendance policy and supervisory assignment, is an essential job duty requirement for this position; and
- Cross Functional Management:
- Communicate with Tracker Manufacturer
- Communicate with other departments within GES Strategy Department
- Keep track of the status of each enhancement
- Execute Strategy Plans developed within GES Strategy Department
- Maximize Yield through Tracker innovations
- Other duties as assigned
- Product Strategy:
- Follow market trends and forecast needs for product enhancement
- Develop a strategy for continuous innovation for product lines and work processes
- Research customers' business practices and needs relative to new features and products.
- Propose new solutions based on customer input, surveys, imaginative interpretation of user needs, market needs analysis, and known technological solutions.
- Develop value-based pricing and compelling business models for development products.
- Contribute to annual and quarterly product roadmaps.
- Technical Requirements/Experience:
- Research and development of New Single Axis Solar Trackers (SATs)
- Work with International Suppliers/Manufacturers to reduce costs and increase reliability of the tracker product
- Demonstrated history of bringing new products to market
- Expertise in designing trackers for Aeroelastic instabilities
- Experience in designing for material reduction
- Experience in designing for cost savings
- Lead solar tracker projects and work with cross-disciplinary teams
- Certification and Testing Requirements with UL
- Bankability report reviews
- Review Third Party Engineering Reports
- Work with QCells GMBH to develop integrated solutions between SATs and Modules
- Lead the technical tasks in preparation of new product development engineering work, support the EPC Team by identifying and developing opportunities in SAT advancements
- Support vendor selection and manufacturing quality control
- A degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or another related engineering science, with the working knowledge within several fields of engineering
- Master’s degree in engineering a plus
- 12+ Years Professional Engineering experience in Renewable Energy
- Minimum of 5 years of management experience leading a team
- MBA or PMI a plus
- Proven ability to navigate market and customer needs.
- Proven ability to lead R&D Initiatives
- Proven ability to Execute R&D Initiatives
- Experience in Utility Solar Market
- Familiarity with UL Certification
- Familiarity with international codes and standards
- Experience working internationally
- Willingness to travel, at least 25% of the time
- Experience with AutoCAD (or equivalent)
- Knowledge of the National Electric Code
- Previous experience managing projects from conceptual, to development, to engineering execution
- Ability to motivate and develop others
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Professional Engineer License is a Plus
The above-listed salary range is required by the California Pay Transparency Act and may differ depending on the location of those candidates hired nationwide. The salary range shared in the job description is for the listed position and only pertains to the candidate if they work in Irvine, CA. Actual compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to internal pay equity, skill set, education, licenses and certifications, geographic location, essential job duties and requirements, and the necessary experience relative to the job’s minimum qualifications. An additional discretionary bonus structure or incentives may be offered as part of the overall compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, dental, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.
· Stationary Position: frequently remains stationary up to 90% of the time and sitting up to 8 hours in a day
· Move/Traverse: infrequently bend, stand, stoop and/or walk
· Carry Weight: infrequently carry weight and/or lift objects (light to heavy) weighing up to 10 pounds
· Hearing and Speech: frequently communicates with the ability to hear and talk on a regular basis with employees, coworkers, and all personnel matters; must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations
· Sight: frequent use of sight to detect images on computer, office documents, and office objects near and far
· Climb: occasionally ascends/descends on stairway to get to office upper and lower floors
· Travel: review above travel requirement for this position
· Regular professional, office business setting
· Noise level ranges from low to moderate (if in office setting)
· Noise level ranges from moderate to high (if on construction worksite)
Hanwha Q Cells is proud to be an at-will Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination against race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, citizenship, disability, protected veteran status and any other classification protected by applicable federal, state or local law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this statement shall imply implicitly or explicitly a guarantee of employment outside our at-will employment opportunity.