Director of Origination
United States · Remote
Posted on Thursday, September 7, 2023
Hanwha Q CELLS USA Corp (“HQC US”) develops, invests, and delivers solar photovoltaic (PV) and battery energy storage systems (BESS) projects through Engineering, Procurement, Construction (EPC) services in North America.
The company brings a decade of global leadership in solar PV to deliver utility-scale power generation plants customized for local and regional energy markets. HQC US offers the full spectrum of PV solutions – from the core technology of cells and modules to large-scale project development and investment. With proven capabilities across the solar and battery storage value chain, HQC US minimizes uncertainty and risk and helps customers achieve a higher return on their investment in renewable energy.
The Director of Power Marketing and Origination is responsible for identifying and executing offtake opportunities for utility scale solar, storage and hybrid projects. The position is also responsible for identification, assessment and execution of strategic partnerships with utilities and other customers for build-transfer opportunities. This position reports to the VP of Power Marketing & Origination, or another management personnel that the President of the Company may designate. This position is located in remote setting and working hours are Monday through Friday, from 8:00am to 5:00pm or 9:00am to 6:00pm local time. Overtime and weekend working hours may be required as needed. This position is expected to travel up to 50% of the time, and possibly more.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTION & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Act as commercial lead during the negotiation of power purchase agreements and build transfer agreements;
- Build and maintain relationships with individuals in procurement roles at utility
- companies, municipalities, cooperatives, community choice aggregators, and corporate off-takers;
- Develop commercial thesis for each market and provide intelligence to inform the development and acquisition strategy;
- Identify new off-take opportunities through competitive solicitations and bilateral discussions;
- Direct bid package preparation in response to offtake opportunities, including RFPs and RFIs for utility scale solar, storage, and hybrid projects throughout North America;
- Develop creative and innovative deal structures and recommendations to support successful outcomes;
- Stay current on market, industry, economic, consumer, and competitive trends;
- Prepare investment memoranda and presentations for Senior Management;
- Engage in industry groups and follow regulatory changes to identify new opportunities, risks, and market solutions;
- Be technically astute with the full life cycle of utility solar project origination, development and valuation;
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in business, engineering, sustainability, finance, or related field
- 7+ years of experience in power marketing, trading, origination, or similar efforts.
- Expert knowledge on structuring and negotiating offtake deals, including but not limited to financial hedges, VPPAs, tolling agreements and other evolving structuring instruments
- Advanced knowledge of U.S. utility-scale solar development, power markets, and customer segments
- Understanding of battery storage contracting structures is preferred
- Requires the ability to stay current with changing technologies, regulations, and trends influencing the continued adoption of renewable energy.
- Ability to quickly step into new tasks and adapt to new circumstances in a dynamic environment.
- Experience successfully operating in a geographically dispersed organization is a plus.
- Excellent interpersonal, time management, communication, and relationship building skills
- Willing to travel up to 50% of the time in North America and possibly more
The anticipated starting pay range of this position, if it is to be located in Irvine, CA is $185,000.00 - $215,000.00 base salary per year.
The above-listed salary range is required by the California Pay Transparency Act and may differ depending on the location of those candidates hired nationwide. The salary range shared in the job description is for the listed position and only pertains to the candidate if they work in Irvine, CA. Actual compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to internal pay equity, skill set, education, licenses and certifications, geographic location, essential job duties and requirements, and the necessary experience relative to the job’s minimum qualifications. An additional discretionary bonus structure or incentives may be offered as part of the overall compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, dental, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.
· Stationary Position: frequently remains stationary up to 90% of the time and sitting up to 8 hours in a day
· Move/Traverse: infrequently bend, stand, stoop and/or walk
· Carry Weight: infrequently carry weight and/or lift objects (light to heavy) weighing up to 10 pounds
· Hearing and Speech: frequently communicates with the ability to hear and talk on a regular basis with employees, coworkers, and all personnel matters; must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations
· Sight: frequent use of sight to detect images on computer, office documents, and office objects near and far
· Climb: occasionally ascends/descends on stairway to get to office upper and lower floors
· Travel: review above travel requirement for this position
· Regular professional, office business setting
· Noise level ranges from low to moderate (if in office setting)
· Noise level ranges from moderate to high (if on construction worksite)
Hanwha Q Cells is proud to be an at-will Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination against race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, citizenship, disability, protected veteran status and any other classification protected by applicable federal, state or local law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this statement shall imply implicitly or explicitly a guarantee of employment outside our at-will employment opportunity.