Electrical Estimator (EPC Preconstruction)
United States · Remote
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2023
Hanwha Q CELLS USA Corp (“HQC US”) develops, invests, and delivers solar photovoltaic (PV) and battery energy storage systems (BESS) projects through Engineering, Procurement, Construction (EPC) services in North America.
The company brings a decade of global leadership in solar PV to deliver utility-scale power generation plants customized for local and regional energy markets. HQC US offers the full spectrum of PV solutions – from the core technology of cells and modules to large-scale project development and investment. With proven capabilities across the solar and battery storage value chain, HQC US minimizes uncertainty and risk and helps customers achieve a higher return on their investment in renewable energy.
The Electrical Estimator’s primary focus will be providing firm electrical pricing by leveling, reviewing, and analyzing subcontractor and material proposals, performing take-offs, scope reviews, risk identification, engineering optimization, and increasing margins through identifying cost efficiencies.
This position reports to the Estimation Manager in charge of overseeing all estimating activities and approvals related to the EPC business or another personnel that the Director of Preconstruction of HQC US may designate.
This position is located in Irvine, CA and working hours are Monday through Friday, from 8:00am to 5:00pm or 9:00am to 6:00pm local time. Overtime and weekend working hours may be required as needed. This position is expected to travel up to 25%.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTION & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and maintain relationships with contractors and subcontractors;
- Perform cost estimating and forecasting;
- Develop and manage a cost model;
- Use computer estimating software to create and compile estimates;
- Prepare technical reports regarding bids and estimates;
- Record and track progress;
- Submit bids and estimates;
- Participate in bid review meetings;
- Produce detailed reports;
- Support in the preparation of bid packages;
- Keep up to date on local building codes;
- Participate in bid management;
- Manage subcontractors, vendors, and suppliers;
- Train new employees;
- Create and maintain project directives;
- Knowledge of electrical calculations, including wire loss, wire sizing, equipment rating, over current protection, etc.;
- All other duties as assigned by VP of Construction, Director of Preconstruction, Estimation Manager, or other senior management personnel; and
- Ability to travel when required
- Bachelor's Degree and/or relevant certificate from college or technical school. No degree will be considered if relevant experience exceeds 4 years.
- 3+ years relevant experience (Construction, energy industry preferred).
- Background in commercial construction, electrical equipment supply, and/or powerplant engineering.
- Strong understanding of Solar and Battery storage electrical installation and Best Practices.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, computer fluency, agile and effective negotiator with clear oral and written explanations required;
- Work experience in construction-related estimation (solar PV and BESS projects in particular) strongly preferred
- Self-motivated, superior organization skills and attention to detail
- Assertive, ability to cope with dynamic surroundings;
- The ability to prioritize multiple and simultaneous projects, issues, and activities; and
- Advanced knowledge in Microsoft office Suite, Smartsheet, and Procore.
- Travel up to 25% domestically and internationally as needed
The above-listed salary range is required by the California Pay Transparency Act and may differ depending on the location of those candidates hired nationwide. The salary range shared in the job description is for the listed position and only pertains to the candidate if they work in Irvine, CA. Actual compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to internal pay equity, skill set, education, licenses and certifications, geographic location, essential job duties and requirements, and the necessary experience relative to the job’s minimum qualifications. An additional discretionary bonus structure or incentives may be offered as part of the overall compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, dental, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.
· Stationary Position: frequently remains stationary up to 90% of the time and sitting up to 8 hours in a day
· Move/Traverse: infrequently bend, stand, stoop and/or walk
· Carry Weight: infrequently carry weight and/or lift objects (light to heavy) weighing up to 10 pounds
· Hearing and Speech: frequently communicates with the ability to hear and talk on a regular basis with employees, coworkers, and all personnel matters; must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations
· Sight: frequent use of sight to detect images on computer, office documents, and office objects near and far
· Climb: occasionally ascends/descends on stairway to get to office upper and lower floors
· Travel: review above travel requirement for this position
· Regular professional, office business setting
· Noise level ranges from low to moderate (if in office setting)
· Noise level ranges from moderate to high (if on construction worksite)
Hanwha Q Cells is proud to be an at-will Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination against race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, citizenship, disability, protected veteran status and any other classification protected by applicable federal, state or local law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this statement shall imply implicitly or explicitly a guarantee of employment outside our at-will employment opportunity.