Senior Energy Analytics Quality Assurance Engineer
Data Science, Quality Assurance
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2023
This is a San Francisco based position that is currently remote and will have a hybrid schedule once we return to office. We are open to candidates willing to relocate to the San Francisco Bay Area.
Geli (Growing Energy Labs, Inc.) provides software and business solutions to design, connect, and operate energy storage systems ranging in size from residential to utility-scale, as well as grid-tied, microgrid, and off-grid systems. Geli’s suite of products creates an ecosystem where project developers, OEMs, financiers, and project operators can deploy advanced energy projects using a seamless hardware-agnostic software platform.
Geli is a subsidiary of Hanwha Q CELLS, one of the world’s largest photovoltaic manufacturers most recognized for its high-performance, high-quality solar cells and modules.
Geli is committed to helping make the planet a cleaner, better place to live, both with our software products and through our everyday actions.
Imagine a world where there is less reliance on non-renewable power, where you source your electricity from your neighbors rather than from power stations hundreds of miles away and software makes the best possible use of the solar, wind, and battery storage available. This is our vision.
We are looking for enthusiastic colleagues that are not only fluent in technology, but also share our vision of a world running on 100% renewable energy.
Geli (Growing Energy Labs, Inc) is seeking a Senior Energy Analytics Quality Assurance Engineer to test our design platform tools. The design platform is an essential part of Geli’s software stack, allowing sales consultants, analytics engineers and data scientists to replicate results from our production software over years-long horizons to provide estimates to customers, conduct analysis and benchmark algorithms. As a Quality Assurance Engineer, you will help test our software and provide confidence in our estimates.
- This role is primarily focused on running feature and regression testing of Geli’s simulations platform, which includes:
- Keeping up-to-date on development plans and working with developers and data scientists to determine test cases, scenarios and criteria for new features.
- Adding new simulations test cases, running tests and retrieving results via our internal Airflow UI.
- Retrieving results from Postgres databases via SQL.
- Analyzing results in the form of bills, plots and other outputs to check for correct behavior of our simulated batteries.
- Keep track of issues and work with developers to resolve issues in a timely manner.
- Document results on Confluence and in JIRA.
- Proactively find and act on opportunities to improve and refine our process, including automation of test cases.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
- Bachelor’s degree preferably in engineering, environmental science, economics, or a stats-intensive field
- Knowledge of distributed energy resources (PV, storage, EVs), their applications, and renewable energy.
- Understanding of electricity markets, tariff structures, and renewable incentives
- Proficiency in Python 3.6
- Experience writing configurations using JSON, yaml or xml files
- Experience writing SQL queries
- Systematic and methodological approach to tasks
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including producing detailed documentation
DESIRED EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
- Hands on experience with software release cycle and version control tools like GIT, Github, Bitbucket, SVN, etc.
- Experience with Airflow (including plugins).
- Familiarity with machine learning and optimization algorithms and concepts.
- Knowledge and experience with QA methodologies, processes, tools
- Experience methodically developing use-cases and test cases
- Hands-on working experience with defect tracking tools like Bugzilla and JIRA
BENEFITS OF WORKING AT GELI
Competitive salary commensurate with experience
Competitive benefits offerings
Conveniently accessible location in downtown San Francisco
Flexible work-from-home-office opportunities, as determined by the position and job duties
Cigna and Kaiser options - available by region
Cigna Dental (including orthodontic coverage) and vision plans, both have options with a $0 paycheck contribution
Healthcare and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
Company Paid (Health Savings Account) HSA Contribution when enrolled in the High Deductible Cigna medical plan
Company-paid Basic Life, AD&D, short-term, and long-term disability insurance
Voluntary benefits include: critical illness, hospital indemnity, accident insurance
401(k) with a 4% employer match
3 weeks of paid Parental Leave
Sick time- 72 hours frontloaded per calendar year
Vacation time (Flex time), and 13 Paid Holidays
Health Advocate wellness and concierge services
Wellness programs with our benefits providers
Bereavement leave- 5 paid days
Make a difference: join a group of people who are passionate about renewable energy
Have an impact: the company is still small enough that everyone’s contribution has a significant impact on the success of the company
Many opportunities to lead teams, and projects, and contribute to development
Casual professional working environment: there’s no need to dress up, just present your best self
Work collaboratively in a diverse environment- we commit to reaching better decisions by respecting opinions and working through disagreements
We value the insights that a diverse team can bring. We encourage applications from members of groups that have been traditionally underrepresented in tech.
Growing Energy Labs, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics.