Senior SCADA Engineer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2024
Geli (Growing Energy Labs, Inc.) provides software and business solutions to design, connect, and operate energy storage systems ranging in size from residential to utility-scale, as well as grid-tied, microgrid, and off-grid systems. Geli’s suite of products creates an ecosystem where project developers, OEMs, financiers, and project operators can deploy advanced energy projects using a seamless hardware-agnostic software platform.
Geli is a subsidiary of Hanwha Q CELLS, one of the world’s largest photovoltaic manufacturers most recognized for its high-performance, high-quality solar cells and modules.
Geli is committed to helping make the planet a cleaner, better place to live, both with our software products and through our everyday actions.
Imagine a world where there is less reliance on non-renewable power, where you source your electricity from your neighbors rather than from power stations hundreds of miles away and software makes the best possible use of the solar, wind, and battery storage available. This is our vision.
We are looking for enthusiastic colleagues who are not only fluent in technology but also share our vision of a world running on 100% renewable energy.
The Senior SCADA Engineer is responsible for design and development of Geli’s power plant control and data acquisition systems. This position is focused on creation of productized yet customizable SCADA solutions for utility scale storage and PV+ storage applications and will lead the creation of a new in-house SCADA offering utilizing Geli’s existing control & communication architecture as well as the off-the-shelf industry components. This position will work closely with our control and software engineering team while supporting external stakeholders in System Integration and Product Development teams. This is a high-visibility, high-impact position in a fast-growing team with an opportunity to contribute to overall project execution and corporate vision of renewable growth. The ideal candidate will be a motivated self-starter with demonstrated success in similar roles previously.
- Design and develop utility scale SCADA & HMI solutions including DAS systems, Field network switches, communication modes & protocols.
- Develop and manage data acquisition via on-site historian and server solutions.
- Create detailed Engineering requirements document, engineering drawings package in CAD including network design, control design, wiring diagrams IO list.
- Manage top-level BOM for system solutions including in-house and vendor components.
- Act as the subject matter expert for industry best practices, regulations, compliance, and standards around PPC/SCADA, NERC CIP, NIST, NERC Mod, applicable IEC and IEEE standards.
- Support operations team in site commissioning including installation and troubleshooting of field issues.
- Own long-term product R&D, product feature delivery, and supplier partnerships.
- This position has a primary focus on ERCOT, CAISO, and ISO NE market and will eventually require and understanding of additional US ISOs / RTO’s.
- All other duties as assigned by the Company.
- Degree in Power Systems, Electrical Engineering, Power Electronics, Instrumentation, Computer Science or Computer Engineering.
- 5+ years experience as a design engineer, applications engineer for PPC/SCADA.
- 3+ years experience interacting with Utilities, ISOs, IPP’s in the US market.
- Field experience deploying PPC/SCADA systems for renewable projects in the US.
- Strong understanding of network communication architectures, protocols (Modbus, DNP3, IEC 61850, GOOSE), NERC CIP and reliability standards.
- Experience programming HMI, PLC, IEDs ION meters, and RTU devices.
- Familiarity with electrical modeling & simulation tools like PSSE, PSCAD, ETAPA.
- Demonstrated experience deploying Utility scale projects for Solar, Wind, or Energy Storage markets.
- Preferably passed or intending to pass the FE/PE exam.
- Passionate about solving customers’ problems.
- Understands the value of hypotheses, experimentation, and learning.
- Strong work & teamwork ethic.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience deploying Utility-scale projects for Solar, Wind, or Energy Storage markets
- Preferably passed or intending to pass the FE/PE exam
- Passionate about solving customers’ problems
- Understands the value of hypotheses, experimentation, and learning
- Strong work & teamwork ethic
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
BENEFITS OF WORKING AT GELI
Competitive salary commensurate with experience
Competitive benefits offerings
Conveniently accessible location in downtown San Francisco
Flexible work-from-home-office opportunities, as determined by the position and job duties
Cigna and Kaiser options - available by region
Cigna Dental (including orthodontic coverage) and vision plans, both have options with a $0 paycheck contribution
Healthcare and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
Company Paid (Health Savings Account) HSA Contribution when enrolled in the High Deductible Cigna medical plan
Company-paid Basic Life, AD&D, short-term, and long-term disability insurance
Voluntary benefits include: critical illness, hospital indemnity, accident insurance
401(k) with a 4% employer match
3 weeks of paid Parental Leave
Sick time- 72 hours frontloaded per calendar year
Vacation time (Flex time), and 13 Paid Holidays
Health Advocate wellness and concierge services
Wellness programs with our benefits providers
Bereavement leave- 5 paid days
Make a difference: join a group of people who are passionate about renewable energy
Have an impact: the company is still small enough that everyone’s contribution has a significant impact on the success of the company
Many opportunities to lead teams, and projects, and contribute to development
Casual professional working environment: there’s no need to dress up, just present your best self
Work collaboratively in a diverse environment- we commit to reaching better decisions by respecting opinions and working through disagreements
We value the insights that a diverse team can bring. We encourage applications from members of groups that have been traditionally underrepresented in tech.
Growing Energy Labs, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics.