United States · Remote
Posted on Saturday, February 3, 2024
Hanwha Q CELLS USA Corp (“HQC US”) develops, invests, and delivers solar photovoltaic (PV) and battery energy storage systems (BESS) projects through Engineering, Procurement, Construction (EPC) services in North America.
The company brings a decade of global leadership in solar PV to deliver utility-scale power generation plants customized for local and regional energy markets. HQC US offers the full spectrum of PV solutions – from the core technology of cells and modules to large-scale project development and investment. With proven capabilities across the solar and battery storage value chain, HQC US minimizes uncertainty and risk and helps customers achieve a higher return on their investment in renewable energy.
The Managing Counsel will support the General Counsel in the development and implementation of Company legal strategy and protecting the organization’s legal interest and maintain its operations within the scope established by law. This position reports to the General Counsel, or another senior management personnel that the President of the Company may designate. This position may require travel up to 25%.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTION & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serves as legal expert and primary legal counsel for Development, Human Resources, and Corporate Governance Specialties and provides leadership, oversight, and direction to legal support staff;
- Influences cross-functional decision-making by collaborating with internal partners and leading multi-disciplinary teams to guide development of company policies and best practices;
- Uses seasoned legal judgment to proactively identify and develop creative solutions to complex problems to help the company achieve its goals and priorities;
- Manages external counsel and coordinates with internal legal team members in delivery of legal services;
- Serves as Lead Counsel, and oversees the delivery of legal services for the following Legal functions:
- Development: Negotiates and documents a wide array of contracts including those related to real property leases and purchase, interconnection agreements, power purchase agreements, portfolio and project sales, and service contracts;
- Human Resources: Negotiates and documents a wide variety of contracts including those related to incentive programs, handbooks, recruitment agreements, and service provider contracts;
- Corporate Compliance and Governance: Manages the general corporate work for the company and its many subsidiaries to ensure that corporate filings are properly managed, licenses are renewed, and the company has the appropriate authorizations to manage its growing business endeavors, including portfolio sales;
- Manages Legal Support Staff and provide leadership, direction, guidance, and training to staff;
- Oversees internal administrative processes to ensure that the needs of the legal team and company as a whole are being met in a timely and professional manner; and
- · Manages Legal Documentation and leads legal team's efforts to draft, update and maintain contractual templates, and improve legal team's internal file organization and document retention strategies.
- 6+ years relevant experience
- Strong M&A, Project Development, Project Finance and/or EPC experience preferred.
- Active membership in at least one state bar
- Strong background in financing of utility scale renewable energy projects, including tax equity and back-leverage transactions.
- Strong background in commercial and greenfield real estate contracts preferred.
- Top law firm training preferred.
- In-house experience preferred.
- Renewable energy experience preferred.
The above-listed salary range is required by the California Pay Transparency Act and may differ depending on the location of those candidates hired nationwide. The salary range shared in the job description is for the listed position and only pertains to the candidate if they work in Irvine, CA. Actual compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to internal pay equity, skill set, education, licenses and certifications, geographic location, essential job duties and requirements, and the necessary experience relative to the job’s minimum qualifications. An additional discretionary bonus structure or incentives may be offered as part of the overall compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, dental, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.
· Stationary Position: frequently remains stationary up to 90% of the time and sitting up to 8 hours in a day
· Move/Traverse: infrequently bend, stand, stoop and/or walk
· Carry Weight: infrequently carry weight and/or lift objects (light to heavy) weighing up to 10 pounds
· Hearing and Speech: frequently communicates with the ability to hear and talk on a regular basis with employees, coworkers, and all personnel matters; must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations
· Sight: frequent use of sight to detect images on computer, office documents, and office objects near and far
· Climb: occasionally ascends/descends on stairway to get to office upper and lower floors
· Travel: review above travel requirement for this position
· Regular professional, office business setting
· Noise level ranges from low to moderate (if in office setting)
· Noise level ranges from moderate to high (if on construction worksite)
Hanwha Q Cells is proud to be an at-will Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination against race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, citizenship, disability, protected veteran status and any other classification protected by applicable federal, state or local law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
We are committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, Hanwha Q Cells will provide reasonable accommodations to all qualified individuals with disabilities to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodations at email@example.com.
Nothing in this statement shall imply implicitly or explicitly a guarantee of employment outside our at-will employment opportunity.