Vice President of Business Development
Sales & Business Development
Dallas, TX, USA
Posted on Saturday, February 3, 2024
Hanwha Q CELLS USA Corp (“HQC US”) develops, invests, and delivers solar photovoltaic (PV) and battery energy storage systems (BESS) projects through Engineering, Procurement, Construction (EPC) services in North America.
The company brings a decade of global leadership in solar PV to deliver utility-scale power generation plants customized for local and regional energy markets. HQC US offers the full spectrum of PV solutions – from the core technology of cells and modules to large-scale project development and investment. With proven capabilities across the solar and battery storage value chain, HQC US minimizes uncertainty and risk and helps customers achieve a higher return on their investment in renewable energy.
The Vice President of Business Development is a key contributor to HQC US‘ development efforts. The Vice President of Business Development will be responsible for identifying and leading potential PV and BESS partnership opportunities and strategic acquisitions. The Vice President of Business Development will also be responsible for coordinating with internal and external subject matter experts to facilitate evaluation of opportunities, underwriting, and advancing transactions to closing.
The Vice President of Business Development reports to the Chief Development Officer, or other senior management personnel that the President of the Company may designate. This position may also require travel at least 50% of the time.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTION & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Orchestrate and direct strategic targets acquisition within the renewable energy sector.
- Lead a customer-focused, data-driven, multi-dimensional analysis that integrates insights from cross-functional team members, driving the identification of high-value opportunities.
- Serve as key contact with counterparties and customers, and work to grow long-term relationships to secure additional business opportunities beyond initial projects
- Scan the market to identify, evaluate, and lead strategic project, portfolio, and platform acquisitions. Serve as the catalyst for pipeline growth.
- Maintain industry relationships, identify market trends, track policy developments, evaluate business strategies, and screen competitor offerings to create profitable business opportunities for the company
- Intervene (as needed) on behalf the Business Development team to effectively manage internal and external subject matter experts to provide evaluations, analyses, or reports that support business opportunities
- Coordinate and guide the broader development team in achieving project objectives;
- Track project risk throughout the development cycle; provide risk assessments and mitigations to Senior Management;
- Construct presentation material to support meetings with Senior Management
- Participate in the development of key account and utility relationships, support origination of contracts with such key accounts;
- Support the broader Development team with development strategy
- Develop/maintain business relationships with key consultants and vendors;
- Represent HQC US at industry events and network to enhance relationships with counterparties, customers, and other stakeholders in the industry
- Mentor and lead the Business Development professionals on the team.
- All other duties as assigned by Senior Management.
- Highly resourceful and strategic thinker; able to summarize complex issues, identify opportunities or next steps with limited guidance and add value through creative input
- A dynamic and motivated executive, demonstrating a team-oriented, action-oriented approach. Eager to embrace continual learning and take on increasingly complex responsibilities in line with our rapidly expanding development pipeline.
- Showcase proficiency in sourcing a substantial volume of potential projects for acquisition within the utility-scale solar and renewable energy sector.
- Possess the ability to thoroughly analyze and dissect utility-scale solar and renewable energy projects, strategically determining their acquisition rationale to significantly contribute to the growth of our renewable energy pipeline.
- Exhibit an extensive network of industry professionals in Business Development (BD) and Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), specifically within utility-scale solar and renewable energy. Proven experience in leveraging these connections for strategic advantage.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to maintain composure and diplomacy in all professional situations
- Proficient in negotiation techniques specific to the utility-scale solar and renewable energy industry. Capable of devising creative, win-win solutions while addressing counterparties' demands and ensuring alignment with actual market valuations in the renewable energy landscape.
- The ability to bring counterparties back to realistic expectations and ground discussions in the actual market environment within the solar and renewable energy industry.
- Demonstrate a genuine and demonstrated interest in a career focused on the development of utility-scale renewable energy projects.
- A self-starter willing to contribute as part of a larger executive team while demonstrating the ability to operate independently, particularly in exploring and establishing a presence in new markets.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in business, planning, engineering or finance related fields required
- MBA preferred
- 10+ years of solar, wind, BESS or conventional project development experience
- Deep understanding of renewable energy markets, project lifecycle, financial models, and industry value chains
- Strong project management skills including creating and managing project budgets and schedules
- Ability to work effectively with, and manage, cross-functional teams
- Ability to manage and support multiple projects simultaneously, with varying complexities and urgencies presented day to day
- Self-motivated with the ability to effectively work remotely with minimal supervision
- Excellent people, entrepreneurial, organizational and analytical skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent project management skills
- Effective computer skills including, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Willing to travel at least 50% of the time
- A valid driving license and passport
· Stationary Position: frequently remains stationary up to 90% of the time and sitting up to 8 hours in a day
· Move/Traverse: infrequently bend, stand, stoop and/or walk
· Carry Weight: infrequently carry weight and/or lift objects (light to heavy) weighing up to 10 pounds
· Hearing and Speech: frequently communicates with the ability to hear and talk on a regular basis with employees, coworkers, and all personnel matters; must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations
· Sight: frequent use of sight to detect images on computer, office documents, and office objects near and far
· Climb: occasionally ascends/descends on stairway to get to office upper and lower floors
· Travel: review above travel requirement for this position
· Regular professional, office business setting
· Noise level ranges from low to moderate (if in office setting)
· Noise level ranges from moderate to high (if on construction worksite)
Hanwha Q Cells is proud to be an at-will Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination against race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, citizenship, disability, protected veteran status and any other classification protected by applicable federal, state or local law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
We are committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, Hanwha Q Cells will provide reasonable accommodations to all qualified individuals with disabilities to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodations at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nothing in this statement shall imply implicitly or explicitly a guarantee of employment outside our at-will employment opportunity.