Farm Training Specialist Internship
Waikato, New Zealand
Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2023
The future of food production hinges on an important question: How do we feed the world’s growing population without compromising our natural resources? Farmers feed our population and hold the keys to vital climate solutions. At Halter, we’re on a mission to enable farmers to run the most productive and sustainable farms. Farmers are using Halter to break free from the time-intensive constraints of conventional farming. They’re growing more grass, increasing milk production and improving the health and wellbeing of their cows.
We bridge deep tech into farming. Halter enables farmers to remotely shift, virtually fence and proactively monitor their cows’ health and behaviour. Can you imagine watching 500 dairy cows turn in unison and walk calmly towards the milking shed? No quad bikes, no dogs, no fences. Just a mob of cows walking at their own pace. People say it looks like magic. Our customers are revolutionizing farming with Halter. It's changing lives and transforming an industry.
People join Halter because they want to do meaningful work. By joining us you’ll be solving challenging problems within a talented team and a culture built for high performance. Our team out-think, out-work and out-care. We’re committed to delivering real change in the world - this isn’t easy, and in truth, we love that it’s hard. We’re backed to deliver on a mission that matters by Tier 1 investors including Bessemer Venture Partners, DCVC, Blackbird, Promus Ventures, Rocket Lab’s Peter Beck and Icehouse ventures.
About the role
Want to be a part of a team doing something that has never been done before? Want to work with cutting-edge technology? We are looking for a Training Specialist! This role is all about helping cows trust and understand our product!
You will join a multidisciplinary Research and Development team composed of engineers, farmers, and everything in between. Two days in this team never look the same, you might find yourself out in the paddock working with the cows, or sitting in our on-farm base, figuring out the next big problem. Our focus is on the continued improvement of how we train the animals that use our product, making sure every cow wearing a Halter collar understands our system and providing our expertise to make sure farmers and cows get the best out of our product.
We believe team culture is vital for success as a team and as a company, we work hard to maintain a fun and casual atmosphere in which you can thrive and develop. From your first day we value your input in shaping what our product looks like, how our farmers use it and how the animals that interact with it are trained. You will be vital to the success of Halter. You will be heavily involved in the monitoring of training and ensuring that every cow has confident interactions with the collar. You will change the lives of farmers by ensuring every one of their cows are trained to the highest level, and making sure that both farmer and cow are getting the most out of our product.
This internship will be available ASAP. It will be full-time 40 hours a week and will run for around 3/4 months with an opportunity to jump on board permanently.
What your day could look like
- Updating the method used to train cows to the Halter system and being responsible for the continued improvement of this area.
- Testing and trailing new methods of training animals to interact with the collars to improve their understanding and confidence.
- Using your observations, data and running of trails to implement improvements for one of the most crucial times for a cow, training.
- Monitoring the performance of all training and ensuring every animal is receiving the highest level of training.
- Talking to farmers and field teams to ensure they are confident and able to provide their animals with the best training possible.
What we’re looking for
- You have a great understanding of the behaviour of cows and can use that knowledge to produce the best tests and results possible.
- You understand what influences success on a farm and can use this knowledge to influence the direction of the team.
- You are able to think critically. You use this skill to work in an efficient way and extract learnings from results.
- You execute efficiently. You drive the continued and timely completion of projects.
- You are tech-savvy and show an eagerness to learn and understand the tech-side of our product.
- You are comfortable with ambiguity and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- You enjoy working hard and want to be a part of a team that does the same.
- You love working in a team, sharing ideas and giving and receiving feedback
Why our team loves working at Halter
- A genuine and shared connection to our mission to make a difference in the world.
- The excitement, risk, and reward of a high-growth technology scale-up.
- The pride of joining an iconic New Zealand technology company growing successfully on the global stage.
- The opportunity to work with and grow together with an enthusiastic, and highly gifted team with diverse backgrounds.
- The opportunity to supercharge your career in a supportive and caring environment.
- Our ideas are truly valued, we are able to move fast, and our impact is real.
- Work where it all began on our test farm in Morrinsville where you’ll get to interact with our product on a daily basis. Did we mention dogs and cows?
- Delicious snacks and drinks are available for your daily flow.
- Healthy body, healthy mind. We’re partnered with Southern Cross to support your well-being.
- We offer 6 months of fully paid parental leave for primary caregivers, 4 weeks of fully paid secondary caregiver and many other parental benefits that support you and your family.
- Our personal growth is important. Halter offers an annual $1000 self-development budget to be used for anything that fuels personal growth.
- Our time to recharge is valued, we’re offered wellness leave unlimited paid annual leave.
- Importantly, we offer an inclusive and attractive remuneration package made up of salary, benefits and an employee stock ownership plan.
Halter is committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive workplace — a place where we can each be ourselves and do the best work of our lives. Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the requirements, women and under-represented groups of candidates tend to only apply when they meet every requirement. If you think you have what it takes but don’t necessarily tick every requirement on this job description, please still get in touch and apply to Halter. We’d love to chat to see if you’ll be an epic fit!
Our Office First Approach
We do have flexible working hours and you can work from home when you need to but we encourage our team to be in the office as much as you can.
We have an office-first approach because we would like to keep the opportunity for teams to have spontaneous interactions which in turn has allowed our team at Halter to foster strong relationships. Stronger relationships make it easier to disagree, give feedback, do meaningful work and as a result be higher performing as a team.
Join our team
If this opportunity sounds like you, please apply below by sending through your cover letter explaining why you’re excited about this role and working at Halter, along with your CV, and we’ll be in touch!