Senior Automation and Test Engineer (temporary 4-6 months)
Heliogen is a renewable energy technology company focused on decarbonizing industry and empowering a sustainable civilization. Powered by AI, computer vision, and robotics, Heliogen’s concentrating solar thermal solutions turn sunlight into heat, steam, power or green hydrogen fuel to help industries such as mining, cement, steel, and transportation transition to clean energy. For ambitious business and technology professionals seeking to have a meaningful impact on climate change and the health of humanity and our planet, Heliogen offers the opportunity to address global challenges through collaboration with a world-class, dynamic team of forward-thinking leaders.
You aspire to:
Define and execute experimental testing of thermal and power block components fueled by concentrated solar power and perform system level testing and analysis of plant operations under various operating conditions. Use the results of this testing to guide equipment R&D, validate numerical models, and ultimately inform business decisions for future commercial contracts.
This position is primarily responsible for executing testing relating to thermal systems and power island development, but will also regularly interface with heliostat engineering, software development, and plant operations to complete testing campaigns. You will also interface with external partners to conduct or support experimental testing at national labs, private institutions, and other locations.
- Test support – Interface with other scientists, engineers, and field personnel to support the execution of on-sun testing, validating test results against process analysis and simulations
- Equipment performance and process optimization – Integrate test data analysis into design iterations as equipment is scaled up, optimizing for performance, capital cost, and operating cost
- Thermal analysis – Consider heat transfer, material properties, and service limits in the design of equipment exposed to high temperature and thermal cycling
- Materials of construction selection – Consider service conditions for the selection of metal alloys and refractory ceramic materials to meet performance requirements
- Mechanical design – Support the analysis and design of custom equipment like heat exchanger, piping, valves design. , sheets, and common structural steel shapes
- Automation – Designing and testing automation equipment and processes using Labview.
- BS or MS in Mechanical Engineering + minimum of 5 years work experience that includes hands-on equipment design and fabrication, installation in plant environments, and performance testing
- Experience analyzing and designing gas and liquid fluid handling systems
- Familiarity developing technology from small-scale prototyping to manufacturing and increased production capacity
- Passion for working at a startup
- Strong organizational ability, including formulation of project goals, deliverables, and timeline for execution
- Experience creating Labview projects and troubleshooting equipment and preforming system tests
- Using thermodynamics and transport analysis fundamentals to study problems in fluid mechanics and heat transfer
- Experience with high temperature materials, including high-nickel alloys and ceramics
- Vendor management, including equipment suppliers, raw material suppliers, fabricators and construction contractors
- Hands-on laboratory experience
- Experience Developing, testing and evaluating materials for different products
Heliogen was created at Idealab, the leading technology incubator, and became a public company (NYSE: HLGN) in December 2021. For more information about Heliogen, please visit heliogen.com.