Application Architect / Sr Developer / Snowflake
Software Engineering, IT
San Mateo, CA, USA · Boulder, CO, USA · New York, NY, USA
Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2023
Jupiter is the global market leader in analytics for resilience planning and enterprise climate risk management. We are led by pioneers in data, climate, and earth and ocean sciences, as well as technology, risk management, company building, and public policy. Our climate risk modeling solutions save lives and mitigate potentially catastrophic impacts inflicted by hurricanes, floods, heat waves, wildfires, drought, and other extreme weather events on homes, businesses, infrastructure, food and water supplies, and entire economies.
Jupiter is also committed to the world community. Through our Jupiter Promise initiative we provide services to under-resourced countries and communities to promote sound decision making while including the potential impacts of climate change. Employees are encouraged to provide their expertise to various programs under the Jupiter Promise initiative.
Jupiter is bringing diversity to prepare a diverse planet for our changing climate. Jupiter was founded on the principle that with the right approaches and the right team, we can prepare Earth’s economies to meet the challenges associated with climate change. The world is a diverse place; a diverse workforce in an inclusive environment is essential to meet our goals. We go forward together.
As an Application Architect, you will play a crucial role in designing, developing, and deploying scalable and secure web applications that meet our clients' needs. You will leverage your deep understanding of Python, cloud operations, authentication and authorization mechanisms, data engineering principles, and web application architecture to architect robust and efficient solutions. Additionally, your experience in data visualization, geospatial analysis, and working with Snowflake will enable you to create visually compelling and insightful representations of complex datasets while leveraging a powerful cloud data platform. You will collaborate closely with cross-functional teams, including software engineers, data scientists, and DevOps professionals, to ensure seamless integration and optimal performance of our applications.
- Develop and implement authentication and authorization mechanisms, ensuring the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of sensitive data.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to define and implement data engineering solutions, including data pipelines, ETL processes, and data storage systems leveraging Snowflake.
- Design and optimize cloud-based infrastructure, ensuring high availability, fault tolerance, and scalability.
- Create compelling data visualizations and interactive dashboards to present complex information in a clear and intuitive manner.
- Incorporate geospatial data analysis and visualization techniques to provide insights on spatial patterns and relationships.
- Provide technical leadership and guidance throughout the software development lifecycle, including requirements gathering, design, implementation, testing, deployment, and maintenance.
- Stay up-to-date with industry trends, best practices, and emerging technologies related to web application development, cloud operations, authentication and authorization, data engineering, data visualization, geospatial analysis, and Snowflake.
What You Will Need:
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or a related field.
- Proven experience as an Application Architect, Software Architect, or similar role. Strong proficiency in Python programming language and associated frameworks (e.g., Django, Flask).
- Deep understanding of cloud platforms such as AWS, Azure, or GCP, including infrastructure-as-code (IaC) and containerization (e.g., Docker, Kubernetes).
- Expertise in implementing authentication and authorization mechanisms, including OAuth, OpenID Connect, and JWT.
- Solid understanding of data engineering principles, including data pipelines, ETL processes, and data warehousing, preferably with Snowflake.
- Familiarity with web application architecture patterns and concepts (e.g., MVC, RESTful APIs, microservices).
- Front end skills such as React, redux, cube or similar and experience architecting enterprise level web applications
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines, version control systems (e.g., Git), and Agile development methodologies.
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills, with a strong attention to detail.
- Effective communication and collaboration abilities, with the capacity to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
- Experience and intuition to make tradeoff decisions, work on proof of concept implementations and create proposals for recommendations for technical architecture
Things That Will Set You Apart:
- Proficiency in data visualization tools and libraries (e.g., Tableau, D3.js, Matplotlib, Plotly).
- Experience with geospatial analysis and visualization frameworks (e.g., GeoPandas, Leaflet, Mapbox).
- Knowledge of GIS
- Results driven
- Acts with integrity
Jupiter employees are proud of our core values and strive to demonstrate this in our day to day Jovian life. The candidate should resonate with these values and demonstrate them each day.
Please note this position can choose to work in office or hybrid from one of our office locations in San Mateo, Boulder or NYC or can work remotely from any of the following states:
CA, CO, FL, IN, IL, KS, MA, MO, MN, NC, NJ, NY, PA, TX, VA, VT, WA, WI
When we say Jupiter Intelligence is an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are not just adding a legal addendum. Of course, we do not discriminate:
Jupiter Intelligence is an equal opportunity employer to all, regardless of age, ancestry, color, disability (mental and physical), exercising the right to family care and medical leave, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religious creed, sex (includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), and sexual orientation.
In fact, we celebrate our differences as our strength and actively work to build an inclusive environment for all. If we can do anything to improve your application and interview process, please let us know!
Please also note: Successful candidates must be authorized to work in the US