Field Operations Lead, Quebec
Field Operations Lead
About the Company
KoBold Metals is a rapidly growing Silicon Valley start-up using AI to enable the transition to electrification and help solve climate change. We are backed by Bill Gates’ Breakthrough Energy Ventures, a16z, Bond Capital, Sam Altman, T Rowe Price, and other premier VCs.
Our team includes the best of the industry in exploration geoscience, data science, software engineering, and business personnel. KoBold’s world-renowned geoscientists have made nearly 20 discoveries. They work on joint teams with outstanding data scientists, who have PhDs in physics, math, materials science, and geophysics. And our technology backbone has been built from scratch by our team of software engineers who are alumni of top Silicon Valley tech companies.
About the Position
In the role of Field Operations Lead, you will plan and execute our field activities to meet our business objectives without causing harm to our people, our contractors and partners, or the communities and environments where we operate. You will report to our Field Operations Manager for North America, and also work closely with the COO, the leaders for our field programs, and other members of the operations team. Your primary responsibility will be to serve as the leader of field operations for 1-3 projects per year.
For 1-3 projects per year, the Field Operations Lead will be responsible for:
- Operations Control Center: Maintain daily contact with and monitor the status of KoBold personnel and contractors while in the field. Maintain close communication with the Project Geologist, Project Data Scientist, and the Senior Project Planner
- Reporting: Execute and maintain KoBold’s system for tracking health & safety incidents and provide periodic reporting
- Compliance: Understand applicable local laws and regulations and the practices of our joint venture partners and ensure that we follow them in all our operations
- Field Service Contractors: Identify, evaluate, contract with, and manage contractors and vendors for a wide range of field operations, from camp construction to helicopter transport to emergency medical services
- Logistics: Arrange for the shipment of equipment and material to and from KoBold’s project sites
- Local Management: Deploy to remote project locations as required to implement and manage programs
- Process Improvement: Creating ways of working that allow us to continue to work more effectively and to be nimble so that we can support machine-learning-driven dynamic field programs, where we adapt our plan based on the data we collect at each stage
- Stakeholder Engagement: WIth leadership direction and support, help represent KoBold Metals with local stakeholders
You must have:
- At least 5 years of experience conducting field operations in mineral exploration & mining, oil & gas or a related industry
- Demonstrated commitment to and familiarity with developing and implementing high standards of health & safety in the workplace
- The ability to problem-solve in remote environments
- The ability to work in remote and isolated locations for extended periods of time
- Must speak, read, and write in English; French is an asset
- A high degree of independence and the ability to work effectively with limited supervision
- Familiarity with Project Management principles and managing projects remotely
- Enjoyment in working with people in a wide variety of disciplines and different parts of the world
- Interest in contributing broadly to the success of the company and eager to pitch in where needed
- Valid First Aid Certification (Level 3 or Wilderness First Aid is preferred)
It is helpful but not required to have:
- Run programs in different countries and/or remote environments
- Worked in a small company or as a member of a very small team with a broad mandate working in a fast paced project environment.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) designation, CRSP designation, Red Seal designation (electrical, carpentry, plumbing), trained or experience operating heavy equipment
KoBold Metals is an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity for people of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status.
This position is full-time, exempt.
Location: Location: KoBold is a remote first workplace, we are open to candidates currently residing anywhere in the United States or Canada. All candidates must be authorized to legally work in either the United States or Canada.