Health, Safety, and Environment Officer, Zambia
About the company:
KoBold Metals Zambia Limited is a Zambian-led company exploring for the ore deposits that will become the next generation of new mines in Zambia.
KoBold Metals Zambia is the Zambian affiliate of KoBold Metals, a U.S.-based company exploring around the world for battery metals using proprietary AI to guide exploration decisions. Our business is discovering, defining, expanding, and developing mineral resources, and our objective is to achieve a step-change improvement in exploration success resulting in more tier 1 resources discovered faster, with fewer failures, and with far less exploration capital.
KoBold is privately held and its investors include: institutional asset managers T. Rowe Price and Canada Pension Plan Investments; Technology venture capitalists Andreessen Horowitz, Bill Gates’s Breakthrough Energy Ventures, BOND Capital, Standard Investments, and Sam Altman’s Apollo Projects; and Officering natural resources companies Equinor, Mitsubishi, and BHP.
KoBold Metals Zambia is building a rapidly growing team of Zambian geologists, operators, and executives to identify, acquire, explore, and develop exploration opportunities and mineral resources drawing upon KoBold’s technology and the expertise of colleagues worldwide.
About The Role:
This role will provide health and safety program Officership for the company as well as provide direct HSE guidance to field projects. The HSE Officer will have primary responsibility to design, adapt, implement and maintain the company’s health and safety management system. The HSE Officer will be responsible to understand the HSE compliance requirements in the jurisdictions where the company operates, build and manage the complementary HSE programs, and advise project teams on HSE specific standards and reporting. The HSE Officer will provide coaching and Officership to build HSE capacity and capability within the company, project teams and the contractor workforce. This role will report to the HSE Lead.
Responsibilities of this position include:
- Help design and cultivate a behavior-based HSE culture in the company.
- Design, implement and maintain the company HSE Management System.
- Ensure that HSE protection compliant standard work procedures and systems are developed, implemented, understood and monitored.
- Ensure that incidents are reported, recorded, and translated into system or behavioral improvements.
- Ensure that all team members are adequately trained in HSE standards and requirements to properly complete work.
- Attend safety/toolbox meetings and communicate expectations with a focus of continued improvement of the HSE Management System and to address team member concerns.
- Provide a high level of safety expertise, coaching and Officership to project Officers and contracted work force Officers.
- Officer HSE initiatives and continuous improvement plans, including transparent HSE KPIs and statistics in a dashboard or similar format.
- Develop reports on compliance, improvement, and workforce engagement.
- Participate in operational and major hazard risk assessments and audit activities.
- Take part in incident investigation and ensure that reporting is completed with closure action plans.
- Investigate all near misses and Non-conformity in line with Kobold Metals guidelines
- Travel to remote work sites as required.
Our ideal candidate will have a minimum of 5 years of recent, related experience including construction, manufacturing, mineral exploration, mining or related field experience,
University degree/ Diploma in occupational health & safety; or equivalent combination of training and experience. Candidates should be able to demonstrate understanding of HSE issues and risks in mineral exploration and knowledge of health and safety legislation, regulations, policies and practices.
In addition to the above, you will have:
- Considerable experience implementing and supporting safety programs, workplace inspections, audits and incident investigations (using Taproot, ICAM, ICS or similar programs).
- Basic First Aid Certificate recognized by the Chamber of Mines First Aid Council Of Zambia and snake handling competency as an added advantage
- Ability to guide supervisory staff on safety matters through active listening and transparent communication.
- Strong analytical and research skills and a high degree of integrity and professionalism.
- Can facilitate in-house safety training.
- Sound knowledge and ability to interpret and apply relevant regulations and legislation such as Workers compensation, occupational health, Mining Regulation and Environmental Regulations and any other in line with the legal register.
- Sound knowledge of ISO 14001 and ISO 45001
We are committed to equal employment opportunities for all people.
This position is a full-time contract role.
At this time, we are only accepting applications from Zambian nationals.
Location: Copperbelt, Zambia.