Geospatial Mapping Analyst
At Loam, we have the earth in our hands. As a team of scientists, farmers and entrepreneurs, we are on a mission to improve the world’s farmland and address climate change.
We are developing microbial technology to remove CO2 from the atmosphere and build carbon in agricultural soils. With a dedicated agenda to deliver nature based solutions, we help farming businesses prosper by boosting yield and soil health and enabling access to carbon markets.
As a start-up with ambitious founders and investors, our work is fast-paced and multidimensional. We foster a supportive and diverse workplace, where every team member is encouraged to learn and grow beyond their area of expertise.
While everyone at Loam is working in different roles, we all have one job: to remove CO2 from the atmosphere and store it stably in the soil.
About the role
We are looking for a Geospatial Mapping Analyst to contribute to the development of robust carbon modelling approaches as the broader team works together across:
- Stratification approaches, for physical soil sampling purposes
- Assess soil sequestration potential and prioritize areas for business development
- Optimize carbon credit claims, by ensuring robustness and traceability of the “carbon journey”
- Decrease the cost of SOC quantification by the innovative combination of different approaches
- Responsible for ensuring geospatial mapping requirements for carbon farming projects are met in a compliant, accurate, timely and efficient manner
- Support and enable the carbon project delivery team(s) with the successful completion of any necessary project mapping activities as required for timely project setup, acting as the commercial scale mapping expert and point of contact
- Implement and maintain appropriate requirements, processes and QA checklists to ensure mapping is conducted in a manner compliant with any necessary regulations
- Responsible for QA/QC of maps and conducting final sign off prior to project setup
- Define and own requirements for field data collection and field apps under Australian ERF and other protocols to ensure accurate and compliant mapping and sampling
- Work to generate sample plans and detailed sampling locations in accordance with any regulatory requirements
- Responsible for submitting any information relating to mapping and sampling locations to appropriate regulatory authorities
- Responsible for maintaining the underlying mapping data in the relevant applications, including completeness, accuracy and quality of underlying attribute data
- Responsible for managing any enquiries from regulators and/or external auditors related to project maps, sampling activities and associated outcomes and data points
- Advanced degree in Agriculture/Environmental/Soil Science or geology/geo-technical with extensive GIS experience preferably in the context of soil and/or soil carbon
- Advanced knowledge and experience with GIS applications and software such as ArcGIS or QGIS
- Experience with data transfer and layer integration within AGOL
- Experience in dashboard reporting and visualization
- Experience with proximal and remote measurement technologies, field, or laboratory expertise measuring soil carbon, land carbon building technologies and methods, and/or improvement of systems and processes
- Excellent time management and organizational skills with the ability to work well under time constraints and meet deliverable targets and deadlines
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
*Please note that we are unable to support visa applications for this role, therefore we request that only those with current working rights in Canada apply.
- Collaborative and highly engaging work environment with engagement across Loam international teams.
- Ability to have significant impact and grow with the organization
- Competitive package on offer
- Wellness benefits
Something looks off?