At Loam, we have the earth in our hands. As a team of scientists, farmers and entrepreneurs, we are on a mission to improve the world’s farmland and address climate change. We are developing microbial technology to remove CO2 from the atmosphere and build carbon in agricultural soils. We help farming businesses prosper by boosting yield and soil health and enabling access to carbon markets.
As a start-up with ambitious founders and investors, our work is fast-paced and multidimensional. We foster a supportive and diverse workplace, where every team member is encouraged to learn and grow beyond their area of expertise.
While everyone at Loam is working in different roles, we all have one job: to remove CO2 from the atmosphere and store it stably in farmer’s soils.
About the Role:
The Data Engineer will work closely with the Research & Development Systems Team and be responsible for designing, implementing, and managing databases, data warehouses, and data pipelines. Our data pipelines need to ingest data from many sources, both internal and external, and bring these together to present a consistent view onto our research and development activities. With data management and manipulation as core activities, there will also be many opportunities for improving automation, reporting, and overall system architecture.
We are building on a primarily Google Cloud-centric architecture, including CloudSQL, Cloud Storage, and BigQuery.
- Design, implement, and maintain databases and data warehousing for research and development data.
- Build, deploy, and maintain data pipelines that ingest, clean, aggregate, and present data to meet business needs
- Support data managers and data scientists in their creation and use of datasets, including creation of data for statistical analysis, and implementing automated dashboards/reports
- Work with product leads and domain experts to identify data and reporting requirements, and manage a roadmap of system improvements
- Experience working as a Data Engineer, Data Scientist, Software Engineer, or similarly data-focused technical role
- Experience with Google Cloud including BigQuery is preferred although not required
- Undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Systems, or similar.
- Expert knowledge of database development and management, SQL relational or analytical databases and API management
This role could be either; remote anywhere in Australia, or onsite in either Sydney or Orange, NSW. Location will be dependent on the successful applicants' preferences and personal circumstances.
- Fast-growing start-up with many opportunities for capacity building and career development
- Work alongside leading scientists and innovators in an international organisation
- Enjoy an inclusive and supportive culture
- Competitive salary based on experience