National Field and Greenhouse Trials Leader
At Loam, we have the earth in our hands. As a team of scientists, farmers and entrepreneurs, we are on a mission to improve the world’s farmland and address climate change.
We are developing microbial technology to remove CO2 from the atmosphere and build carbon in agricultural soils. With a dedicated agenda to deliver nature based solutions, we help farming businesses prosper by boosting yield and soil health and enabling access to carbon markets.
As a start-up with ambitious founders and investors, our work is fast-paced and multidimensional. We foster a supportive and diverse workplace, where every team member is encouraged to learn and grow beyond their area of expertise.
While everyone at Loam is working in different roles, we all have one job: to remove CO2 from the atmosphere and store it stably in the soil.
About the Role
As a Field and Greenhouse Trials, Team Leader, you will be responsible for planning, coordinating, and executing greenhouse, small plot trials and strip trials to support the development and testing of our microbial biotechnology products, while leading our team of greenhouse and field specialists. This role is based in St Paul and will be focused on key farming regions across the United States. You will play a crucial role in managing all aspects of field trials, ensuring their successful implementation, and driving valuable insights for the organization. This position requires strong organizational, communication, and leadership skills, as well as technical expertise in experimental design, analysis and agronomy
- Lead our United States field trial program using microbial inoculants to increase soil carbon.
- Manage and lead our team of greenhouse and field specialists.
- Collaborate with research and commercial teams to define trial objectives, develop trial protocols, and identify suitable trial sites.
- Coordinate logistics, supervise field trial companies, troubleshoot issues, and maintain accurate records of trial activities.
- Accurately record and collate agronomic data in appropriate data systems
- Interpret and present trial results, and integrate trial findings into product development strategies.
- Liaise with internal and external stakeholders to align trial objectives with Loam’s commercial strategy, foster relationships, and communicate trial progress, results, and recommendations.
- Work closely with external stakeholders to integrate their needs into trial planning, provide technical support and guidance, collaborate on data collection and analysis, and promote trust and transparency.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in agronomy, agriculture, plant sciences, or a related field.
- Extensive experience in field trial management and/or agronomy.
- Leadership and people management experience
- Knowledge of US broadacre cropping systems
- Good data handling and practices
- Experience in the design of agricultural experiments
- Experience in data analysis and statistical methods
- Strong communication, leadership, and project management skills.
- Ability to work independently, as part of a team, and across departments.
- Familiarity with soil health and sustainable agriculture practices.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally as needed, for example, travel domestically to field trials to assess confidence and perform sample collection.
- Ability to conduct sampling at field trial locations (ie, physically fit and willing to work for extended periods outdoors across all seasons).
- Opportunity to make a significant impact and grow within a pioneering ag-tech startup organization
- Competitive salary package
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision insurance
- Paid time off, 401K with company match, short-term/long-term life insurance
- Collaborative and highly engaging work environment with opportunities to work across international teams
- A culture that promotes work/life balance, celebrates diversity, and offers numerous family-oriented events throughout the year