Data Scientist (R&D)
Job Title: Data Scientist (R&D)
Location: Centred around London with our flexible trust based work policy
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
- Employee Share Option Scheme
- Above industry standard holiday (30 days vs 22-25)
- Close office over Xmas where possible
- £500 personal development grant every year
- Unlimited mental health support
- 3 months of equal Paternity or Maternity leave
- Monthly rewilding donation on your behalf
- Cycle to Work scheme
About Mission Zero Technologies:
MZT is a hardware technology start-up pioneering a breakthrough Direct Air carbon Capture (DAC) technology that can scrub CO2 from the air using a fraction of the energy compared to incumbent technologies developed by the likes of Carbon Engineering and Climeworks. In the past three years, MZT has evolved its technology from concept to pilot plant scale, successfully raising over £8m from a mixture of private and government funding. MZT’s technology is a hybrid of approaches, combining efficient solution-phase capture of CO2 with a continuous and compact electrochemical separation technology.
Mission Zero and its work is guided by its principles of bold curiosity, problem solving acumen and hope for the future. We strive to realise a world where humanity has new tools to fight climate change, remove CO2 permanently from the atmosphere and produce everyday products such as concrete blocks or fuels from atmospheric carbon emissions. To do this we need to realise a decentralised Gt supply chain for CO2 sourced directly from the atmosphere.
You have the opportunity to join MZT at a pivotal point in our company's history - our transition from an early-stage R&D startup into a product offering, revenue-generating company poised to rapidly scale our DAC technology across the world.
You will work primarily in the technology development team focusing on creating the foundational scientific/engineering solutions to advance our current and future DAC products. You may also represent the technology development team working cross functionally with our product, engineering delivery and commercial development teams, ensuring continuity of effort, information, purpose and vision.
Specifically, MZT is hiring a data scientist or engineer to lead the design of a robust data infrastructure & exploration toolset for laboratory and field research. The primary focus is thereby to set up our back-end database infrastructure for further expansion and redundancy, while supporting scientists in the visualisation and processing of large data sets. A secondary focus will be to use state-of-the art statistical tools to explore data sets and predict future improvements.
Your expertise in data science will directly shape how we use and engage with data, and thereby contribute to the development and scaling of our groundbreaking DAC technology. You will also be instrumental in setting up our data infrastructure for a large expansion in 2024, impacting the efficiency and effectiveness of the technology team.
You will thereby closely work with scientists and engineers who build test stands and perform experiments. Furthermore, you will take over the data storing, processing and visualisation aspects of this work and harmonise this across the technology team. After several months, we anticipate that this role will transition to a more data analysis-oriented position, wherein you employ advanced techniques to uncover previously unobserved patterns in the experimental datasets. We also anticipate the candidate to investigate how we can use the latest advanced techniques such as machine-learning or predictive analytics in order to improve our process.
The role will be centred around our headquarters in London, with the option to work in a hybrid setup as appropriate.
Our vision for our early stage employees is that they own the business with us (literally), grow it with us and become part of the collective story of Mission Zero, taking a catalytic role in its early history and the fight against climate change.
What you’ll be responsible for:
- Develop data-driven methodologies using Mission Zero’s existing experimental datasets.
- Conceptualise, design and implement a cloud database to store experimental lab data, test stand data and pilot plant data.
- Automate the R&D process through real time analysis of incoming data and generating reports of existing experimental data.
- Build a platform for visualising experimental results in an easy-to-use interactive dashboard, across test stands and pilot plants.
- Research methods of applying statistical models to predict potential areas of future study.
- Perform exploratory data analysis of large pilot-plant datasets to detect hidden correlations and insights.
- Feed outputs from analysis into live Techno-Economic Models to provide end-to-end insights of how our technology developments would impact current and future product offerings.
- At least 2 years experience of software engineering/development with a focus on data and data exploration.
- Understanding and experience in working with time-series data.
- Strong programming skills backed by commercial experience, ideally Python.
- Able to work effectively in multidisciplinary teams
- Interest or background in physical sciences, engineering and ideally chemistry.
- Ability to path-find through unknown and ambiguous variable space.
- A strong sense of ownership and ability to work independently.
- A passion for the climate.
- University level Chemistry (or similar scientific) education including hands-on laboratory experience.
- Experience with Techno Economic Modelling.
- Basic front-end web development experience for internal dashboards.
- Understanding of Chemical and Process engineering fundamentals.
- Basic understanding of networking and IT security.
- Experience with computational modelling of chemical and physical systems.
At MZT, we value diversity of cultural backgrounds, experience and perspectives and leverage these qualities to create exceptional outcomes. We are dedicated to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, sex, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, age, disability, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy or related condition or any other basis as protected by applicable law. Please do not hesitate to let us know if you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation.