Embedded Software Test Engineer III
Motiv Power Systems
What Makes Motiv Special?
Through a radically different approach to building electric trucks that combines our own patented IP with strategic partnerships, we have developed a line of all-electric medium-duty truck and bus chassis, the Motiv EPIC platform, which are used in a range of truck and bus applications. Our next-generation power management electronics and software make it easy to integrate new technology components into new vehicles and applications.
The ideal candidate will want to be a member of the 2+ ton commercial truck EV Industry leader, with millions of current customer driven miles and tens of millions of pounds delivered in the US and Canada while reducing millions of CO2 pounds of emissions. You will be joining us at a critical inflection point in our growth, when, in addition to launching our sixth generation technology, we are significantly expanding our products, capacity and market volume.
Motiv’s core values are deep passion, curiosity, collaboration, customer focus and “owning it.” If those are values you share, we would love to talk with you about joining our team and taking your career to the next level in one of the hottest technology sectors. To succeed in this job, you must be able to perform the duties listed below – and others as required.
Motiv is looking for an Embedded Software Test Engineer III to join the engineering team as a key contributor. As part of a small team, you will develop firmware tests for various components that comprise Motiv’s EV solution. Responsibilities include technical leadership, software design, coding, testing, and debugging as it relates to test and quality assurance for embedded software products. Candidates should enjoy getting their hands dirty and debugging hardware with digital probes, oscilloscopes, as well as contributing to Motiv’s long-term software vision.
- Work with management, architects, and developers to create cost-effective, flexible, software/firmware test solutions which scale with our business
- Design, develop, implement, and maintain test plans, test reports, manual and automated test code for embedded vehicle control software written in C and Python
- Manage software engineering test beds.
- Work with other engineers, technicians, and supply chain to plan, develop and maintain required test beds
- Apply software quality assurances best practices. Employ software/firmware test frameworks to automate regression testing
- Execute vehicle and feature level testing of completed software features, and generate test reports
- Work with Systems Engineers to support product level DVT, PVT, and validation plans
- Conduct requirements analysis, develop test requirements documents and test design documents
- Plan and Manage test bench development, and test vehicles
- Participate in peer design and code reviews
- Participate in and encourage continuous improvement of software quality
- Adhere to Motiv company policies and procedures, and best-practices
- BS in Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, or Electrical Engineering with Software emphasis
- Strong understanding of software engineering principles, including SW Quality Assurance and full SDLC
- 3 years of industry experience developing real-time software for embedded systems
- Passion for embedded software quality assurance, backed by a minimum of 4 years of embedded software test/quality assurance experience
- Strong proficiency in C with ability to understand compiler output (assembly)
- Experience with coding standards like MISRA C
- Experience with Linux, RTOS and bare-metal systems
- Experience with software test frameworks such as doctest, cpptest, or similar frameworks
- Experience in the automotive industry, and standards such as CAN, LIN, FlexRay, AUTOSAR, etc.
- Strong analytical and communications skills
- Experience with CI/CD and test automation using Jenkins pipelines
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in an Engineering discipline required. Master’s Degree is preferred
- 3-4+ years of relevant experience; exceptional candidates with less experience will be considered
- MS in Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, or Electrical Engineering with Software Emphasis
- Experience developing or testing safety-critical systems
- Familiarity with ISO-26262
- Experience with Agile Development Methodology
- Experience developing and testing for AUTOSAR components
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
- May require occasional domestic travel up to 10%
- $125,000-165,000.00 (Salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. Individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education and training.)
This is a regular full-time position based in Foster City, CA.
Candidates only please; no recruiters.
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive and comprehensive benefits package including Medical (including 24/7 online access to a physician), Dental, Vision, HSA, Health & Dependent Care FSA, 401(k) with company match, company paid Basic Life and AD&D, employee paid Voluntary Life and AD&D.
- Generous PTO policy, 11 Paid Company Holidays
- EAP (Employee Assistance Program) and Education Reimbursement
- Fresh daily snacks and a healthy Work/Life Balance
- Access to Perks at Work - Discounted learning, tickets, electronics, travel, health, restaurants & retail.
- Free Online Training & Development
- Bicycle friendly, with bike storage available to all Foster City employees with a 5 minute walk to the scenic Bay Front.
- Regular Happy Hours, Company Cultural Events, and more!
Motiv Power Systems is the medium-duty commercial electric vehicle (EV) leader that frees fleets from fossil fuels. Founded in 2009, the Bay Area-based, commercial EV company draws on 14 years of experience to create accessible, cost-effective, and innovative EV technology for organizations that are the backbone of the economy.
Motiv has more than 150 all-electric trucks and buses on the road with businesses of all sizes, across a broad spectrum of industries, including linen, parcel, food, hospitality, airports, higher education, pupil transportation, and more. Motiv vehicles operate at over 98 percent uptime, and have logged more than two million miles, while also offering fleets up to 85 percent operation and maintenance cost savings. Motiv’s proven EV technology provides operators with a healthier, smoother, and more profitable driving experience.
Something looks off?