Senior Mechanical Designer
Richmond, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, September 9, 2023
Moxion is a vertically integrated manufacturer of all-electric mobile power and energy storage solutions. We have developed commercial-scale, powerful, silent, and emissions-free mobile battery stations that are designed to replace traditional diesel generators in most applications today. We’re pioneering mobile energy storage technology, leveraging vertical integration and a software-enabled service model to deliver last-mile electrification for our customers and communities. The Moxion team is a passionate group of humans who care about the environment and disrupting the diesel economy. Come build the first distributed utility with us, propelling the biggest energy transformation of our lifetime.
The Mechanical Designer will drive program level designs and documentation for High Voltage product design solutions. You’ll be responsible for exercising strong engineering fundamentals and 3D CAD tools to create designs that stretch across all segments of the unit. This is a unique opportunity to support a fast-paced design team to optimize and integrate components and systems in order to maximize appearance, function, and performance.
What you’ll do:
- Create CAD models, parts and assemblies in 3D and 2D using Solidworks and EPDM.
- Generate both conceptual and detailed designs for HV systems.
- Actively participate and present concepts at design reviews with both internal staff, as well as with suppliers at specific times in the design lifecycle of components.
- Develop innovative solutions to accommodate systems, product, and customer requirements.
- Work as part of a team of release designers, engineers and manufacturing engineers to bring prototype and production designs to serial production.
- Design components such as injection molded plastics, sheet metal, extrusion parts, stamped, welded, and machine parts.
- Create and track appropriate project tasks, notes, actions and decision documentation.
- Provide CAD guidance, peer checking, and expertise to other Engineering & Design Team members.
- Prepare and communicate best practices and standard procedure documentation to create efficiencies and streamline processes.
- Provide design recommendations and/or solutions to Engineering team members.
- Understand and apply geometric and form dimensioning and tolerancing calculations of multiple part assemblies.
Skills to be successful:
- Extensive experience using CAD software (designing, drafting, and concept iterations). Solidworks preferred.
- Experience and aptitude in injection molding, die casting, sheet metal design and top level assembly management.
- Familiarity with A-surface, UI/UX touchpoints and ergonomics.
- Capable of developing design solutions with limited direction.
- Experience with rapid prototyping and part fabrication; including methods and materials.
- Detail oriented, self-motivated and able to work in a fast paced environment.
- Demonstrate passion, creativity, agility, and a relentless commitment to excellence and innovation.
- Influence, mentor, and inspire teammates to deliver great technical solutions.
- Ability to communicate and collaborate effectively cross-functionally and receive and guide feedback surrounding complex tradeoffs.
- Basic understanding of tolerances and stackups.
- Experience prioritizing multiple tasks.
Moxion is committed to the principle of pay equity – paying employees equitably for substantially similar work. Compensation displayed is a range. Maximum amounts are reserved for those candidates that exceed all experience and background requirements. We reserve the right to offer compensation based on level of experience. Moxion has different base pay ranges for different work locations within the United States, which allows us to pay employees competitively and consistently in different geographic markets. The range above reflects the potential base pay within the San Francisco Bay area. If you live outside that region, the range is subject to change.
Base pay is one part of our total compensation package and is determined within the range provided above. This provides the opportunity to progress as you grow and develop within a role.
At Moxion you get
Health, dental, and vision coverage, PTO, competitive equity & compensation packages, free lunch, coffee, and snacks onsite, flexible work from home (for some roles), free tax advisory services, access to Mountain Hardware, Columbia, Sorel, & Prana employee stores and discounts, company swag, and parental leave program.
People are at the core of Moxion’s values. We care about growth for our people and team, and this translates to an open and transparent culture. Moxion believes that diversity is as core to our business as the underlying products and technology we’re developing. Diversity in people leads to diversity of thought and different perspectives to draw from, often resulting in a new or unique way of approaching or solving a problem. Diversity drives innovation.
Moxion is looking for candidates who identify with different races, religions, national origins, age groups, genders, or gender identities, and we don’t discriminate against marital status, physical or mental disability, health or medical conditions, military and veteran status, genetic information, and other classifications that may or may not be protected by law. If you can bring a unique perspective or experience to our company, please apply.
Moxion is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please let our recruiting team know or email HR@moxionpower.com