Mechanical Engineering Lead (United States, California, Mountain View)
About the role
This role is responsible for the design, test, and build of the spacecraft that Muon launches. You’ll be at the frontlines of implementation, working with the mission formulation team to understand the customer needs and lay out a space vehicle that solves those needs. You’ll pull internally developed ‘off the shelf’ parts from our avionics team, develop those parts into full systems, and own the mechanical, thermal, structural, dynamics, build, and test of the full flight system.
- Build, Test, and Fly awesome remote sensing spacecraft that make a difference to our understanding of the environment
- Lead a team of engineers including mechanical, thermal, structural, propulsion and integration engineers (both full time and contractors as needed)
- Recruit and plan for an organization that will scale to meet the demands of the business as it grows
- Be the driving force behind having a technically excellent engineering team by mentoring team members and holding the bar for the team high
- Design spacecraft that meet mission goals as negotiated with the mission formulation team representing the customer needs
- Develop a strong working relationship with the avionics team to ensure the roadmap will deliver components you need on a timeframe consistent with your responsibilities
- Work jointly with instrument teams to trade feasibility with features, and integrate instruments on to the spacecraft
- Negotiate requirements by having a deep understanding of the objectives and providing alternative solutions to proposed
- Implement test plans consistent with the risk posture of the mission and own the outcome of the test campaign
- Conduct design reviews, test readiness reviews, and flight readiness reviews with a heavy emphasis on technical excellence
- Get your hands dirty by doing design, manufacture, and test yourself alongside the team to set the standard for what you expect
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, math, or science discipline. Or equivalent experience.
- 3+ years of experience with designing autonomous vehicles that operate in harsh environments (autonomous vehicles, drones, spacecraft, etc.)
- 1+ years directly or indirectly managing engineering teams
- Track record of delivering products to the field
- Experience with managing analysis products and incorporating their feedback to design
- Managed spacecraft design teams
- Conducted full test campaigns on satellites or launch vehicles, familiarity with SMC-S-016 or similar specs
- Experience with risk management systems and matching risk tolerance to design requirements
- Experience in the space exploration industry, aviation, military, or other high-reliability operating environment
- Experience with project management
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills
- Ability to rapidly change roles/responsibilities while working in a high-paced, rewarding work environment
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected persons as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
About Muon Space
Muon Space is working at the forefront of satellites, advanced sensors, business intelligence, and climate science to allow humanity to close the loop on climate change. From satellite missions to modeling to data analytics and actionable insights, we believe measuring, understanding and predicting Earth’s complex, coupled systems is both a great business opportunity and key to leaving future generations a livable, productive and healthy planet.
At Muon, our mission embraces the entire planet and we believe our team should too. Muon is dedicated to creating a diverse and dynamic company and workforce. We believe in equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, age, national origin, citizenship, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or gender identity. If you need a reasonable accommodation as part of your application for employment or interviews with us, please let us know.
At Muon Space salary is only part of our total compensation package. In addition to salary, Muon Space provides equity compensation as well as benefits including medical, dental, and vision insurance, a 401k retirement plan, life insurance, and an employee development program.
The salary range for this role is $95K and $190K and will depend on a candidate's skills, qualifications, and experience as determined during the interview process.
JOB CODE: 1000030
Something looks off?