About the role
Muon is looking for an Avionics FPGA Engineer to join our satellite and sensors development team. The ideal candidate is a self-motivated FPGA engineer who will help develop radio and imager DSP pipelines, and control planes in hardware and software.
- Work with internal teams and external customers to push the limit of what's possible in Earth sensing and in-satellite compute
- Be part of the team that defines Muon's satellite communications, science radio, and sensing architectures
- Translate mission needs, concepts, and requirements into robust designs
- Collaborate with HW and SW team members to bring up brand new spacecraft systems that include FPGAs
- Enable radio and imaging capabilities for Earth sensing
- Design, test and qualify: signal processing pipelines, control logic, data routing fabric, data processing accelerators, and high-speed interfaces like Ethernet, PCIe, MIPI, Camera Link, and JESD204B/C
- Develop reusable internal IP cores and design patterns
- Build and improve build automation and CI pipelines
- Integrate FPGA designs alongside avionics processors and microcontrollers
- Write supporting software for FPGA designs.
- B.S., M.S., or Ph.D. in electrical engineering, computer science, or related field
- 0-3 years experience as a FPGA engineer in a team environment, or actively designing FPGA's as a graduate
- Strong Verilog programming experience, with SystemVerilog experience desired
- Experience working in a linux development environment
- Read and understand HW datasheets
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Excited to work in a fast-paced environment with new challenges every week
- Resourceful, creative, and thorough.
- Knowledge of radio standards and signaling such as GPS, DVB-S, GSM, LTE, etc
- Experience designing Software defined or digital radio implementations, GNURadio or USRP's.
- Familiarity with device-level communication buses (e.g. UART/SPI/I2C)
- Experience implementing and debugging high-speed digital communications (Multi-Gigabit Ethernet, PCIe, Aurora, JESD204B/C, MIPI, etc)
- Scripting to automate building and testing FPGA designs (Unit test frameworks, make)
- Expertise in embedded firmware development in C/C++. Experience in Python.
- Experience with digital hardware design and/or RF circuit design
- Interfacing and processing data from image sensors
- Participation in Open Source (S/W or H/W)
About Muon Space
Muon Space is working at the forefront of satellites, advanced sensors, business intelligence, and climate science to allow humanity to close the loop on climate change. From satellite missions to modeling to data analytics and actionable insights, we believe measuring, understanding and predicting Earth’s complex, coupled systems is both a great business opportunity and key to leaving future generations a livable, productive and healthy planet.
We are a geographically diverse company with teams in the San Francisco bay area, Los Angeles, and Boulder, Colorado. We seek great talent wherever it may be.
At Muon, our mission embraces the entire planet and we believe our team should too. Muon is dedicated to creating a diverse and dynamic company and workforce. We believe in equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, age, national origin, citizenship, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or gender identity. We value diversity in the workplace, and that starts with our applicants. We encourage you to apply, even if you don't check all the boxes, and we look forward to reviewing your application! In addition, if you need a reasonable accommodation as part of your application for employment or interviews with us, please let us know.
At Muon Space salary is only part of our total compensation package. In addition to salary, Muon Space provides equity compensation as well as benefits including medical, dental, and vision insurance, a 401k retirement plan, life insurance, and an employee development program. We also offer three weeks paid vacation for new employees, along with 12 paid holidays and unlimited sick time, along with paid parental leave to name a few of our benefits.
The salary range for this role is 105K-190K and will depend on a candidate's skills, qualifications, and experience as defined during the interview process.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) or Export Administration Regulations (EAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S. protected person as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.