VP Sales & Business Development
VP Sales & Business Development
We’re a team of believers. We believe that humanity can stop and even reverse climate change by removing over 1 trillion tonnes of CO2 from the atmosphere. How do we get people to remove that much carbon at scale? Pay them! Nori’s marketplace is the infrastructure that creates the financial incentive for people and companies to remove massive amounts of CO2 from the air.
We are a venture-backed and values-focused company, caring deeply about people and our planet. Our team is made of a diverse set of people with complementing skill-sets, all unified on the mission to address the climate crisis by enabling global CO2 removal.
We strongly suggest that you read in detail about our company values and mission at https://nori.com/careers.
The Sales and Business Development (Demand) team at Nori plays a crucial role in driving revenue, expanding market reach, and fostering relationships within the carbon removal industry. Our primary focus is on generating sales, building partnerships, and creating opportunities for the company to develop and bring to market products and services that contribute to climate stabilization while also achieving business growth.
As we continue to expand our reach and impact, we are seeking a dynamic and experienced Vice President of Sales and Business Development to lead our efforts in driving revenue growth, building strategic partnerships, and fostering client relationships.
While you will have the support of the expertise of colleagues and ample opportunities for collaboration, this is an intellectually rigorous position that requires comfort with technical topics in policy, science, markets, finance and technology.
You’ll Be Responsible To:
- Grow and manage the sales and business development team and identify new opportunities to grow and scale revenue.
- Set and meet ambitious revenue targets and goals.
- Manage a team of business development and sales staff including hiring, goal setting, and performance management.
- Identify potential clients, get access to key decision makers, understand their decarbonization goals, and showcase the benefits of the Nori’s carbon removal credit products and SaaS market platform.
- Engage in consultative selling, offering tailored solutions that match the client's needs.
- Maintain a deep understanding of the carbon offset market, Nori's offerings, and how our products and technology support clients in achieving their decarbonization targets.
- Work with consumer-facing companies (B2B2C), such as fintechs, online marketplaces, and CPG companies that want to offer carbon credits and positive climate stabilization impact as part of their customer experience.
- Identify strategic partnerships and collaboration opportunities within the carbon removal and climate action ecosystem.
- Establish relationships with other businesses, NGOs, government entities, and relevant industry players to develop innovative carbon reduction projects, joint marketing efforts, and increased market visibility for Nori’s market and products.
- Represent Nori at industry events such as trade shows and conferences, including on panels and other speaking opportunities.
The First Few Months:
In the first few months of this role you will be expected to develop expertise in carbon removal - the different technologies, how they are related, the benefits and risks of each, including those that underpin Nori’s products and services. You can expect support from the team that includes experts in SaaS technology, financial markets, carbon science, carbon and markets policy, and Nori’s efforts to align with specific industry requirements and integrate seamlessly with clients' existing systems and carbon programs.
The Sales and Business Development team collaborates with the Marketing team to develop targeted campaigns, content, and materials that effectively communicate the benefits of Nori’s market and the company's carbon removal credit solutions.
The Sales and Business Development team also collaborates with the Product team to convey customer needs and market opportunities.
Given the evolving nature of the voluntary carbon market, the team prioritizes ongoing learning and training to stay up-to-date with the latest advancements in carbon removal technologies, regulatory changes, and best practices. This ensures we can provide informed guidance and recommendations to clients.
Key Challenges in the Role:
Nori is a start-up in a new and rapidly developing industry - that means there are many unknowns and things that are outside of Nori’s control. This can be exciting: we are innovators in a brand new, critical industry. It can also be challenging because the path is not always clear. This role is necessary to help with the channel and segment development that will enable the successful sales of Nori’s products and services, but our hypotheses and strategy are based on the most current information and in six months things might be totally different. Someone who will thrive in this role must be comfortable in ambiguity and be able to pivot as new information arrives that may impact priorities across strategy and tactics as Nori and the industry changes and grows.
- Bachelor’s Degree, MBA or equivalent experience preferred.
- Proven track record managing the startup growth lifecycle from pre-revenue to scaled eight to nine figure+ ARR including scaling a go-to-market organization.
- Strong business acumen to identify potential revenue streams, partnership opportunities, and innovative ways to create value within the voluntary carbon market including understanding financial models, pricing strategies, and ROI calculations.
- The ability to build and maintain relationships with diverse stakeholders, including corporate clients, NGOs, government bodies, and other relevant organizations to establish trust, influence decision-makers, and negotiate effectively is essential for successful partnerships.
- The ability to develop and execute a comprehensive business development strategy that aligns with the company's goals and market trends including identifying target markets, defining value propositions, and adapting strategies based on changing circumstances.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to present complex concepts in a clear and compelling manner, and tailor communication style to various audiences, from technical experts to C-suite executives.
- The ability to understand client needs, pain points, and challenges and provide tailored solutions using carbon removal credits and the problem-solving skills necessary to address client-specific requirements effectively.
- The ability to navigate complex negotiations, handle objections, and ultimately close deals is essential, including skill in contract negotiations, ensuring terms are fair and favorable for both parties.
- Demonstrable success in sales, business development, and partnership management roles, including hiring and scaling a team.
- The ability and willingness to travel, including internationally.
- A deep understanding of the carbon offset industry, including its terminology, market dynamics, key players, and current trends.
- Familiarity with various carbon removal methods.
- Strong relationships with key corporate carbon program decision makers and influencers such as sustainability leaders.
- Experience working in the voluntary carbon market or environmental sustainability sector, or a related field such as renewable energy or clean technology.
The salary range for this position is: $182,500-$222,500 and includes equity compensation and a generous benefits package.
This position is hybrid and based in New York City with required in-office days of Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.
We do not offer visa support or sponsorship.